+ Reply to Thread

Default wall prep after wallpaper removal

I removed the wallpaper in my bathroom. It was original to the house (25 years)and the wallboard was only primed. I have sanded the surface removing any imperfections and filled all holes. The wall was never sprayed with what my wife calls the "little bumpies" and she would like me to spray them on. I have an airless sprayer but am unsure of what product I should use to get that "new home" look to my drywall and what further steps I need to make in prep.

Default Re: wall prep after wallpaper removal

The airless sprayer you have, I assume is for paint? That is not what is used to texture the wall, a texture gun is needed. You can purchase a manual one and get reasonable results or you can rent one for about the same money and get professional results.

There are two products you can use to texture the walls with. The first is actual wall texture mix which is a dry powder that you mix with water. The second is regular drywall topping compound. I recommend the latter, it takes slightly longer to dry, but it is more forgiving to the first time user.

Dry mix is mixed with clean water to the consistency of pancake batter. Topping compound is thinned with clean water to the same consistency.

Texture guns vary vary in their control of spatter size depending on what type of gun you have. The all use different orifice sizes, it's how you adjust them that's different.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: wall prep after wallpaper removal

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The airless sprayer you have, I assume is for paint? That is not what is used to texture the wall, a texture gun is needed. You can purchase a manual one and get reasonable results or you can rent one for about the same money and get professional results.

There are two products you can use to texture the walls with. The first is actual wall texture mix which is a dry powder that you mix with water. The second is regular drywall topping compound. I recommend the latter, it takes slightly longer to dry, but it is more forgiving to the first time user.

Dry mix is mixed with clean water to the consistency of pancake batter. Topping compound is thinned with clean water to the same consistency.

Texture guns vary vary in their control of spatter size depending on what type of gun you have. The all use different orifice sizes, it's how you adjust them that's different.
    Thank you that is just the advice I needed and I hope to make this look like a bathroom again

You're welcome. Please report back with your progress.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Once again Spruce has given good advice. Fortunately, back in the Chicago area, where I spent my contracting years, smooth wall is the norm. Personally,I don't mind the textured look. I have it here in my house in Portland,Oregon, but it is much more difficult to patch and match the existing texture. As Spruce states, the best way to get realy good results with sprayed textures is to rent a professional sprayer. Spray cans are OK for small touch ups, but not very good for larger area.

I am not sure why texturing is so popular. I surmise that the builders believe it is less work then doing a first class smooth drywall job. Unfortunately, texture does not hide imperfections well. But then, it is hard to find really good smooth wall craftsmen.

Ordjen, thanks for the kinds words. I feel the same about your knowledgeable contributions as well.

In my experience, the texture it thrown by aerosol cans is too small to match that typically sprayed, particularly now-a-days in the "slap and dash" world of construction. That is not to say that it isn't a viable option, particularly on a wall that has no texture to begin with. I've gotten good results with the manual squirt guns to do small areas, as a matter of fact, I've got a cheapy Homax applicator and just mix my own refills. I've used this for patches up to about 16 square feet and gotten good matches. Anything larger than that and I'll break out the hopper and compressor. I've never used one of the larger manual sprayers, which I would assume would work much better than the miniature Homex unit I use. The reason I use it is that it's small and lives in the toolbox quite nicely and works great for door knob patches and other small things.

Side note: The great thing about squirting texture is that if you don't like it, you simply wipe it off and start over or add more. I will also say that there are some tricks to using any texture gun to achieve different sized beads and texture styles. I would recommend trying different spray patterns and pressure to find what works best for the project.

This is the unit that I use - $16
    http://texture.homaxproducts.com/pro...b33763509.aspx

This is a bit larger and would work better for about $60
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product..._HOM4405P.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I am not sure why texturing is so popular. I surmise that the builders believe it is less work then doing a first class smooth drywall job. Unfortunately, texture does not hide imperfections well. But then, it is hard to find really good smooth wall craftsmen.
    In these parts, a very heavy texture is applied to cover up a lack of taping and finishing. Installers are little more than fire taping before applying gobbed on texture to hide the haphazard work. I believe that this is the reason that acoustic texture still exists because ceilings are even worse on the finish work than the walls.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 02-04-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Spruce,

I used to have that larger spray machine back in Chicago. It was capable of touching up popcorn ceilings . It sure beat schlepping a compressor onto the job just to do a little touch-up. Fortunately, popcorn was about the only machine applied texture I would run across in the Chicago area.

I get more positive feed back from customers for the oil version of the spray can touch ups over the water version. Oddly enough, the oil version dries faster than the water version. It also seems to hold its volumn when sprayed on the wall. The water version schrinks in volumn when it dries so that you didn't leave as much texture as you thought. With either one, you want to test the spray and your technique on a piece of cardboard. Both versions have adjustable nozzles. The downside to oil is that if you screw up your texture on the wall, it is messier to clean it up and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    The downside to oil is that if you screw up your texture on the wall, it is messier to clean it up and start over.
    DOH!!!