Quote Originally Posted by rolls831 View Post
I was hoping a plumber with experience in installing shower faucets could narrow it down some. Just the few that you mentioned, there are multiple models in each name brand.
Stick with name brands. I'm partial to Delta and Pfister faucets, the only one I don't like is Moen because it's always seemed like a cheap fixture to me. Regardless, all models within a line and brand name are essentially the same. One single handled Delta is pretty much the same as another, the difference is in the part you see (color, shape, features ). Next time you're at the hardware store look in the plumbing repair aisle and you'll see that there are only a few repair kits that cover a wide range of valve brands and styles.

Quote Originally Posted by rolls831 View Post
Does one just close the eyes and pick?
It's personal preference. What color do you want? What styling of the handles do you like? What type of application do you have, i.e. tub only, shower only, tub/shower combo? Those are pretty much the only questions that are relevant. Beyond that you're looking at price and availability. What I would recommend is that you do some ****** research of the major manufacturers and find a valve that suits your needs with the styling you like, then take that information to your supplier. This way you're deciding what you want/need before entering the store and can't be swayed as easily by sales tactics.