+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cast iron tub removal

I am replacing my tub with a 60" shower enclosure. My problem is getting my old tub out of the tight area its in. Bathroom is completely empty, down to the subfloor. Can I cut up the tub? What type of cutting tool or disc?. Would it be easier to take down the wall studs of the surrounding walls? This ones got me stumped. All offers of advice appreciated.

Default Re: Cast iron tub removal

For a cast iron tub you need four things. Gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, and a sledgehammer. A few well placed blows with the hammer will shatter the tub. The safety gear is for the flying bits of porcelain that are going to happen. A way to minimize chips flying is to cover the tub with a tarp before breaking it up.

Be careful, broken shards of cast iron and porcelain are extremely sharp! Wear the gloves and clean up the debris with caution.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Frank,

How wide is the tub? You might be able to get it through the rough door opening (removing door and jambs, then reinstalling when finished). If possible, an easier process then removing wall studs which likely contain plumbing or electrical (and the tub may have salvage value!).

If there is an operable window in the bathroom, have you checked the opening's dimmensions (with sashes removed)?
    Are you proposing lifting a cast iron tub up and through a window opening?
    Boy, you obviously haven't had much experience with those.

A.Spruce gave good advice.

or Coveralls would also be a good idea. Seems like trhat was mentioned before. If it's a steel tube (not cast iron) change the sledge hammer to a recip saw or 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack's photos show what all the best dressed folks are wearing for demolition theses days.

If it's a steel tube (not cast iron) change the sledge hammer to a recip saw or 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel.
    Thankfully the steel tubs are far more lighter to carry.

If you do need to cut them and you are using an angle grinder with a metal cuttoff disk ... make sure to have a water hose or fire extinguisher handy...... the sparks will be flying everywhere .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    Are you proposing lifting a cast iron tub up and through a window opening?
    Boy, you obviously haven't had much experience with those.

A.Spruce gave good advice.
    Especially if it's a second story window.
    - Rush

take that silly wench on the front of your useless truck and string up a block and tackle pully system like we have on the barn, harness up the tub with a few guy lines. you don't think they actually carried the dang thing up stairs or framed walls around the thing do you? our 6-1/2' long cast iron claw foot wasn't added till the house had plumbing at least 50 years after it was built! when we sent it out for blasting and refinish thats exactly what we did from the 3rd floor. we used trolly carts to move the tub out of position after we slipped them in using a hydraulic jack.

the clowns on this site are very stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    the clowns on this site are very stupid.
    Speaking of ...
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Frank,

How wide is the tub? You might be able to get it through the rough door opening (removing door and jambs, then reinstalling when finished). If possible, an easier process then removing wall studs which likely contain plumbing or electrical (and the tub may have salvage value!).

If there is an operable window in the bathroom, have you checked the opening's dimmensions (with sashes removed)?
    Tell us about your days of moving Cast Iron tubs. I can bet you never moved one. Or you would be suggesting lifting it out a window. Besides the OP poster has said it is to big to get out of the room.

I have personally helped move one and believe me never again. It was in a new house and a straight shot in and no stairs.
    Harry

Harry ... Harry ..... you're just one of the clowns like the rest of us.
    - Rush