+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Grout and Tile Sealer

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda53 View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts on this. I did return what I had to the store, got the correct stuff, and have completed the job of sealing the grout. Worked great. Thanks again!
    Be sure and reseal the grout every 6 months or sooner and it will last a very long time.

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on taking the tiling class at my local Home Depot on Saturday. Hopefully, I will get some useful tips.
    Since I only want to regrout the shower floor, where do I stop in removing the old grout? I don't want to mess up the grout in the corners that connect to the wall tile/grout. How do I handle the transition from floor to wall? And how do I handle the grout around the floor drain? I certainly don't want to end up with a bigger problem than I already have!

Quote Originally Posted by HDNewf View Post
    Hello Yoda53, Iím HDNewf from the Home Depot out of Chicago. I agree with A. Spruce that replacing the floor grout is worthwhile. Since you did not mention any tiles popping or cracking, your 9 month old shower floor may be OK. If you want to do this yourself, I would recommend buying a Dremel Multi-Max along with a grout removal blade. Scraping the grout out by hand with a grout saw is cheap but can get old very fast. This oscillating tool will do the job with much less effort without raising a ton of dust. In any case, I would fix the grout issue as soon as possible before the floor becomes damaged.
    Are the wall tiles and grout in good condition?
    All of the tiles (wall and floor) seem to be fine. A few months ago, the grout in one upper wall corner cracked. The contractor came back and sc****d it out and filled in with grout caulk. Otherwise the wall grout seems okay.

Was this crack at a joint where the wall meets a wall? or where a wall meets the floor? Those joints should be sealed with a non latex caulk as latex will certainly mold in a shower. If latex and/or siliconized latex is used, then you're looking at mold and replacing the caulk every few months or years. If you use 100% silicone, then you can not worry about it for decades. Silicone is also mold free.