+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grout and Tile Sealer

I am in the process of having a new tile shower installed. I am using glazed ceramic tile. When I checked with the local big box home improvement store, they sold me a spray bottle of "Grout and Tile Sealer" to use on the finished shower. This Grout and Tile Sealer says it is for grout and unglazed tile.

Should I go back and get a grout sealer only? Or should I apply this product to both grout and glazed tile? Won't it just wipe off the glazed tile, and serve no purpose? The clerk at the store said this would help protect both grout and tile and was good for a shower application.

Thanks for any advice/ideas!

Default Re: Grout and Tile Sealer

If there is a worth while difference of price I would return it.
    As you already pointed out since you have glazed tiles you really don't need to put any sealer on the glazing ---- it's the grout that needs sealing.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with canuk, glazed tile does not require sealing, only the grout.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I did return what I had to the store, got the correct stuff, and have completed the job of sealing the grout. Worked great. Thanks again!

You're welcome, glad we could help.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hate to admit it, but I'm back with another problem! The tile shower installation that I referred to earlier seemed great at the time. However, the grout on the shower floor is now slowly failing. There are small cracks, crevices, and pieces coming loose. I assume this is due to faulty grout mixing, but not sure. Some stuff I've read ****** seemed to indicate that it dried too fast. Since the original installer was not a tile pro, would I be better off trying to fix this myself? I did call a pro tile installer, but they did not want to touch this fix due to previous contractor liability issues. I am really concerned with the issue of whether this is a grout issue, or if there is a problem with the stability of the floor structure underneath the tile that might be causing the grout failure. Any ideas or suggestions??

You could have the floor regrouted and see if that cures the problem, if not, then it's likely a substrate issue. Grouting isn't that difficult if you're up for the job. Get a grout saw and sc**** out the old grout, vacuum the lines to get all debris out. Mix and apply new grout as per label instructions. If you're not comfortable doing it, then you'll have to find a tile company willing to regrout or replace the floor for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda53 View Post
    Hate to admit it, but I'm back with another problem! The tile shower installation that I referred to earlier seemed great at the time. However, the grout on the shower floor is now slowly failing. There are small cracks, crevices, and pieces coming loose. I assume this is due to faulty grout mixing, but not sure. Some stuff I've read ****** seemed to indicate that it dried too fast. Since the original installer was not a tile pro, would I be better off trying to fix this myself? I did call a pro tile installer, but they did not want to touch this fix due to previous contractor liability issues. I am really concerned with the issue of whether this is a grout issue, or if there is a problem with the stability of the floor structure underneath the tile that might be causing the grout failure. Any ideas or suggestions??
    Hello Yoda53, Iím HDNewf from the Home Depot out of Chicago. I agree with A. Spruce that replacing the floor grout is worthwhile. Since you did not mention any tiles popping or cracking, your 9 month old shower floor may be OK. If you want to do this yourself, I would recommend buying a Dremel Multi-Max along with a grout removal blade. Scraping the grout out by hand with a grout saw is cheap but can get old very fast. This oscillating tool will do the job with much less effort without raising a ton of dust. In any case, I would fix the grout issue as soon as possible before the floor becomes damaged.
    Are the wall tiles and grout in good condition?

All of the tiles (wall and floor) seem to be fine. A few months ago, the grout in one upper wall corner cracked. The contractor came back and sc****d it out and filled in with grout caulk. Otherwise the wall grout seems okay.

The tile that I chose for the floor is not as thick as the tile on the walls. Could that be a factor in the grout failure? These were the one inch tiles in a foot square sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda53 View Post
    All of the tiles (wall and floor) seem to be fine. A few months ago, the grout in one upper wall corner cracked. The contractor came back and sc****d it out and filled in with grout caulk. Otherwise the wall grout seems okay.

The tile that I chose for the floor is not as thick as the tile on the walls. Could that be a factor in the grout failure? These were the one inch tiles in a foot square sheet.
    I donít think so. If the mortar still keeps them firmly cemented in then I canít see how the tile is causing the grout to crack. If the installer used way too much thin-set then itís possible that it squeezed up between the tiles, leaving little room for grout. I would still try and re-grout it first.

I hope this helps,
    HDNewf