+ Reply to Thread

Default Cast iron radiator sleeve seals?

Hi to All,

We are still living the nightmare with the 41 busted radiators in our recently purchased 1896 Money Pit. We now have a contractor who is taking apart some of the cast iron radiators, taking out the bad fins. We hope he can put them back together and they will be OK. So far, the taking apart part has gone well. However, some of the steel sleeves that go between the sections of the radiators are mangled (like the one in the attached photos), either due to the taking apart or else from the big blow out when the radiators exploded. Anyway, we need some new sleeve seals. They are about 1 7/8Ē wide on the round side and slightly tapered on each end. Does anyone know where we can get these parts to repair the radiators, or at least what the part is called so that I can search for them on the internet?

I have attached a few photos Ė one of a good radiator, so you can see what we are talking about, and two photos of sections that have been removed, where the sleeve seals fit into the top and bottom of each section of the radiators. We donít know how to find what we need, because we donít know what they are called. These little sleeve seals are slightly tapered on each end, so they are not completely round and flat like a cylinder. They are just a tiny bit narrower on each end and larger in the middle. I hope the photos do a better job letting you know what we need than my description.

The cheapest estimate we have so far, to fix the heating system in our house is $70,000 USD. We donít have that kind of money, so we are doing our best to salvage what we can. Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can send our way.

Sincerely,

Donna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	3166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	3168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	3169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	3170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	3171  

Fleetwood

Default Re: Cast iron radiator sleeve seals?

Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
    Hi to All,

We are still living the nightmare with the 41 busted radiators in our recently purchased 1896 Money Pit. We now have a contractor who is taking apart some of the cast iron radiators, taking out the bad fins. We hope he can put them back together and they will be OK. So far, the taking apart part has gone well. However, some of the steel sleeves that go between the sections of the radiators are mangled (like the one in the attached photos), either due to the taking apart or else from the big blow out when the radiators exploded. Anyway, we need some new sleeve seals. They are about 1 7/8Ē wide on the round side and slightly tapered on each end. Does anyone know where we can get these parts to repair the radiators, or at least what the part is called so that I can search for them on the internet?

I have attached a few photos Ė one of a good radiator, so you can see what we are talking about, and two photos of sections that have been removed, where the sleeve seals fit into the top and bottom of each section of the radiators. We donít know how to find what we need, because we donít know what they are called. These little sleeve seals are slightly tapered on each end, so they are not completely round and flat like a cylinder. They are just a tiny bit narrower on each end and larger in the middle. I hope the photos do a better job letting you know what we need than my description.

The cheapest estimate we have so far, to fix the heating system in our house is $70,000 USD. We donít have that kind of money, so we are doing our best to salvage what we can. Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can send our way.

Sincerely,

Donna
    They are called push nipples. There should be a manufactures name on the radiators. http://www.******boiler.com/special.htm

John

Default Re: Cast iron radiator sleeve seals?

Thanks, John! You are a lifesaver!!!! I have already contacted Oneida County Boiler Works and am sending them photos and a sample this afternoon.

Sincerely,

Donna
    Fleetwood