+ Reply to Thread

Default exposed bat insulation in gargage

My husband wants to remove the drywall ceiling of our gargage so he can have access to the wiring. Our garage is attached to the house and we have a bedroom directly above the garage, therefore has bat insulation in it.My husband will keep the insulation in the ceiling after the dry wall is removed.

MY concern is what will happen to the insulation once the ceiling is removed. I have concern about the moisture level in the garage and the changes of weather, we live in the Northeast. I am also concerned about small animals living in the ceiling insulation in the winter months.

Does anyone out there have exposed insulation in the ceiling of their garage? What are the positives and negatives of doing this.

Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.

Default Re: exposed bat insulation in gargage

Safety doesn’t work alone; I would be concerned with carbon monoxide and fire before anything else. Currently, I live in Boston’s “Historic North End” where there are 4000 resident stickers and 1000 resident parking spaces; an outdoor, full time parking space, can go for $450 a month! So the “garage under” was one of the highlights of the “Barbie Dream Shack” that I was having inspected.

"Illegal garage!" the home inspector told me, “you need to install a fire resistant drywall ceiling and fire resistant door that leads to the living area.” “Also” he said, “all of the supporting walls need to be covered with fire resistant drywall because it is below the living space. Finally, you have to put up a fire resistant wall and door between the car and the heating and oil tank systems to bring it up to “code.” Otherwise you are opening yourself to an explosion!” I started to glaze over about then when he started talking about “floor-to-ceiling assembly” and “air duct systems”

It didn’t help that I knew 3 people who came home, after a night on the town, and died from carbon monoxide poisoning after one of them accidentally left the car on; their bedroom was above the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by RA98 View Post
    My husband wants to remove the drywall ceiling of our gargage so he can have access to the wiring. Our garage is attached to the house and we have a bedroom directly above the garage, therefore has bat insulation in it.My husband will keep the insulation in the ceiling after the dry wall is removed.

MY concern is what will happen to the insulation once the ceiling is removed. I have concern about the moisture level in the garage and the changes of weather, we live in the Northeast. I am also concerned about small animals living in the ceiling insulation in the winter months.

Does anyone out there have exposed insulation in the ceiling of their garage? What are the positives and negatives of doing this.

Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.

Default Re: exposed bat insulation in gargage

All that information about building code, type X drywall, etc. is right on the money. There's a way to do it with less work though.

Your husband seems like he's looking for a "project" if he's willing to tear out all the drywall. I'm sure he could find something better to do. I'm a lazy guy though, so I would run the wires in conduit, on the face of the drywall. You can get decorative conduit that is easy to install, or you can just buy the silver stuff at Home Depot and get a small bender. A little harder but still not as hard as tearing out all the drywall in the ceiling. You'll get a better job of it too.

Good Luck.