+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Garbage Disposal and the Clog

Canuck: The drainpipe for the disposal is indeed above the drain pipe in the wall, by about 4". Although the drain pipe in the wall does slope the wrong way slightly for about 6-8". That would make sense to me as well, except that when the waist pipe in the wall takes a 90 straight down there's still standing water.

YukYuk: My first thought in all of this was that it was a venting issue, so I installed an Oatey Air Admittance Valve to try and bypass the building's venting--and the water still stood still.

Is that not an accurate test? Would the building's ventilation being clogged up still stop the water even though there's an AAV inline?

In any case, I think you're right that if the problem is more than 10' below my floor, and I don't have any living space of my own down there, it's a building issue. I'll give them a call and let you know what happens! Thanks a lot.

civickarma ... gottcha .... though it sounds like there is a bit of a slope issue.

The thinking of the disposal drain height was the mention this was an apt. - condo conversion. It's probable there weren't disposals originally and with different sinks , counters the plumbing would have been set for those.
    When the disposal was installed there would be a height difference leaving a back slope toward the disposal.

Hopefully this will be resolved by the condo board.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I just had a problem that might be what you are experiencing. Pipes were clogged ran a 50' snake pulled it out with nothing on it. Opened up a clean out drained out line dirty water but nothing that would stop flow. I have cast iron drains so I hooked up the little hot dog thing on the hose and blew out a coupler and about 5lbs of egg shells. Seems the snake would pass the shells and by the time I removed the snake the water in the line rinsed off the shells. Self sealing clog that washed off in the backed up water. Do you toss egg shells in the disposal?

Son of gun, I have put eggshells down the disposal. I'll try blasting the line out while I wait for the lame HOA management company that never returns my emails or my calls. Thanks for the tip!

Here's the update:

I had a 22yr veteran journeyman plumber come take a look at the problem. He said he's never seen anything like it before. I was wrong about the elbow joint, it is a Tee, one side goes down the waist line and the other side goes up to the vent. The vent is clear, the waist line is clear. He got it down 25' into the main line and it was smooth sailing. Anyway, it's on the HOA now, I'll let you know what they come up with! Thanks guys...

Thanks for the update and do keep us posted.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush