+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question ID crisis Plaster or Wall Board

My new house is 55 years old. I am getting ready for paint but I need help in determining wall and ceiling prep. I believe my walls and ceilings are plaster but without lathe strips. Approximately 1/2" plaster base with approximately 1/8" plaster finish coat is applied to horizontal 18" to 24" high paper wrapped boards.(see attachment) The boards are attached to the studs horizontally and their appearance is similar to wall board. I've been told instead of the meticulous plaster repair procedures the walls and ceiling can be properly repaired with spackling and or joint compound. I have water damage to address in the ceiling, wall hairline cracks, and in one load bearing wall which was raised I have a 1/2" diagonal crack. How to proceed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLsmpl1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	3164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLSTRbkng1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	3165  

Default Re: ID crisis Plaster or Wall Board

What you have is 3/8 inch ROCK LATH with plaster applied.
    For repair you could use 1/2 inch plaster base board ( USG would be called Imperior base and **** Bond is called Kal Board )this would be a special order for a small repair.
    For a replacement use regular Gypsum board and install with the back of the board facing the finish side and use USG Perlite Plaster or **** Bond Gypsolite plaster to bring out to match existing.
    For the cracks and finish I would use a product called Master of Plaster this product can be applied over existing painted plaster NO BONDING AGENT required.
    AS per the photo the red hash marks on the back indicates that it was **** BOND plaster board and the rounded edge would indicate Rock Lath.

Of course, he could also buy some new rocklath, if it came to that.
    I'd probably use 5/8" drywall, and skimcoat level with durabond 90, and point it up with easysand 45.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    I'd probably use 5/8" drywall, and skimcoat level with durabond 90, and point it up with easysand 45.
    S_M
    Pretty much what i do at my place repairing rocklath and plaster walls and celings.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Of course, he could also buy some new rocklath, if it came to that.
    S_M
    He can not purchase Rock lath at this time it is no longer manufactured.But I believe it can be requisted on a special order and it would be in larger sheets.
    As for using Durabond products over plaster or to patch plaster no where can I find listed by the manufacture that it is to be used for plaster repair except. On page # 51 USG Hand book states that it can be used for interior gypsum crack repair also page # 48 in the new USG hand book 2009 states for plaster crack repair.
    Now with the above being said I will say that after being in the plaster for over thirty years I will tell you that most any product will adhere to Gypsum Plaster including but not limited to Bondo auto puddy.Epoxies most cement products, any wood fillers or glues, limes and clay mixtures and the best of all is egg whites sugar and lime.
    Now I will state that after an extended time all will fail except the egg lime and sugar mixture.
    The best money maker I have going is people using the wrong material to patch plaster working a job this date 1/4 mil $$$$$
    due to the wrong dumb ass material being used.
    I have offered to furnish all the SHEET ROCK MUD at no charge to a large college if I can repair all the plaster when it fails
    They would not take the offer. But they still call me for plaster repairs.

We did a kitchen reno with 16x48 rocklath sheets about 18 months ago. Didn't know it was all gone now, We probably got "new old stock".
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Sombreuil do me a favor and get me the Phone number or other contact info for the supplier of rock lath. I could use the source and I have the need for it.