+ Reply to Thread
    Inquirer Guest

Red face Concrete/Foam Structural Insulated Panel

I remember seeing on one of TOH's shows (over a year ago, maybe two by now) when they were building a basement that they were using a panel board that was foam with concrete on both sides, and that it was the equivalent "R-power" at a 6 or 8 inches width (whatever it was) than something like 18 inches of concrete.

I know about the SIP's made with wood particle board, but I specifically remember this being a concrete/foam variant.

Am I crazy, or does this really exist?

Default Re: Concrete/Foam Structural Insulated Panel

Perhaps you may be thinking of Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF)
    These are basically sheets of rigid foam placed inside and outside filled with concrete.

http://www.icfhomes.com/
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I'm sure you are talking about the ones listed in canuk's reference. the joker's reference is the same as sips except metal studs instead of wood.

It sure sounds like Canuk suggested , the ICF.

the joker's reference
    Holy cow Batman , not the Joker.

Inquirer Guest

Thanks canuk. I think that may have been it.

Any of you know how much concrete it takes to reach the equivalent insulation of the ICF? I didn't see any comparison like this on the cited website, but it probably depends on the type of concrete vs ICF anyway.

In a very broad-brush comparison, I'm wondering how much concrete material, as thickness of the wall, is saved by using ICF's.

An uninsulated 8-inch-thick basement wall built using normal-weight concrete has a R-value of about 1.35.
    By doubling the thickness of the wall to 16 inches, the R-value only increases by 0.50 .
    It's the ICF that provides the insulation R value and not the concrete.

In a very broad-brush comparison, I'm wondering how much concrete material, as thickness of the wall, is saved by using ICF's.
    I'm not sure if I understand the question .... if you require an 8 inch thick concrete wall then you will still have an 8 inch thick wall using flat panel ICF.... generally no concrete savings.
    The foam panels are merely used as the forms for casting the concrete ... they remain in place and happen to provide a good insulation value.

However ..... there was an ICF designed to form a series of post and beams in the casting instead of a single thick slab resulting from the flat panel ICF.
    This type apparently used 25% less concrete .

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush