+ Reply to Thread

Default Decorative wooden Central A/C Cover-Need advice or idea on how to build one

I have a square central air conditioning unit sitting on my new wooden deck. Unfortunately, it needs to stay there as there is no other place to put it. I want to build some type of wooden enclosure for it to "hide" it so it will match the deck. I realize that it can not be completely enclosed because it needs to draw air into it. I would like to design something that is decorative, but yet will allow air flow. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Default Re: Decorative wooden Central A/C Cover-Need advice or idea on how to build one

The obvious thing that comes to mind is lattice panels which would provide some screening and still leave circulation.

Keep in mind whatever you use to allow space around the entire unit for service/maintenance of the unit.

If the panels will be permanently fastened you might consider leaving 18 - 24 inch space between the panels and the A/C unit to allow someone to get in there.

Otherwise you could have them closer but make them removable for access.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Decorative wooden Central A/C Cover-Need advice or idea on how to build one

you could make an ottoman stretching screening or fabric inside frames on the sides or the metalwork they use for making radiator covers. I would use something like a teak table top plan or the click together decking they used in Bermuda to make the top. Something with spaces between the boards, not a solid top.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I wouldn't recommend anything placed on top even if it had spacing between the planks ... too much restriction for the air being blown by the fan ... this will burnout the A/C ... it's best to leave the top uncovered.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I posed this same question to my HVAC guy . He's an old family friend and I trust him . His advice is DON'T EVEN TRY IT . It doesn't take much to interfere with the airflow in or out .

I would think that installing a louvered screen would provide ample air flow, yet still provide adequate visual screening. As long as the airflow isn't restricted, it's not going to hamper the operation of the unit. I would also keep the screen at least 24" away from the unit, not only for airflow purposes, but maintenance and cleaning, either that or make the screen movable for access when needed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I would think that installing a louvered screen would provide ample air flow, yet still provide adequate visual screening. As long as the airflow isn't restricted, it's not going to hamper the operation of the unit. I would also keep the screen at least 24" away from the unit, not only for airflow purposes, but maintenance and cleaning, either that or make the screen movable for access when needed.
    Maybe if you have the luxury of room , you might be able to come up with something . If you figure 24" as you said , multiply that by two and add the width of the unit itself , and your losing over 6 feet of deck space . Just sayin' ...