+ Reply to Thread

Default How to cover ugly metal patio rail

I live in a post war condo with a 6x13 concrete balcony. The metal grate used as the rail looks like jail (I'm not kidding). I'd really like to cover it - Hopefully with some sort of lattice cap or something. Can someone direct to a site where I can find this type of product? I'm not the handiest and I've been searching on google to no avail...

Default Re: How to cover ugly metal patio rail

You might first want to check with the documents you signed as part of the condo agreement---they may not allow such modifications.

If they do, there are numerous white vinyl fence parts and sections at the home improvement stores that may fit the bill.

This would probably require a minimum amount of cutting & assembly with a few tools.

Could you post some photos and give the rail dimensions???

I'm guessing you're wanting to hide/dress up the vertical pickets?

If so you might be able to use something like privacy panels or slats used for chain link fences ... examples : http://www.hooverfence.com/slats/slatindx.htm

Being in a condo you might be required to check with your condo board or committe as to what's allowable.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

We can definitely do this - others have but we're new to the building. I just attached a picture from when we moved in. We removed the screen and painted the concrete a much better color. The dimensions are 13 x 3.5

AClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20878369-6.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	1253

Why not just go green?
    Get a couple of climbing plants, put the planters next to the railing, and let Nature decorate for you? There are some beautiful flowering vines that grow quickly, and they will help keep your balcony a bit cooler as well. Or there's always ivy (many varieties) that grows well in full sun or partial shade, even without direct sunlight if the area is bright enough.
    If you have a brown thumb, use artificial plants!