+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Painting Outdoor Benches

I recently just finished painting a pair of old benches that I picked up. I went through and spent A LOT of time sanding them down to get a good surface for the paint to stick to.

I used exterior acrylic paint and painted the sides of the benches with 3 coats and the tops with 4 coats (thin coats, I needed so many to cover up blemishes etc ).

My question is, is what I did enough? should I follow up with some kind of sealant? These will be covered during the winter, but during the summer months they will be exposed to the elements.
    After all the time I spent on them I want them to last a few years before they need touching up.

Here's a picture of them (this is before).

Default Re: Painting Outdoor Benches

Yes, i forgot to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn54c View Post
    I recently just finished painting a pair of old benches that I picked up. I went through and spent A LOT of time sanding them down to get a good surface for the paint to stick to.

I used exterior acrylic paint and painted the sides of the benches with 3 coats and the tops with 4 coats (thin coats, I needed so many to cover up blemishes etc ).

My question is, is what I did enough? should I follow up with some kind of sealant? These will be covered during the winter, but during the summer months they will be exposed to the elements.
    After all the time I spent on them I want them to last a few years before they need touching up.

Here's a picture of them (this is before).
    For some reason I can't view the picture.
    Sounds like you have them covered as far as painting these should withstand being outside which is no different than painting the house. There might be some be some deterioration from sitting on them since regular paint doesn't really stand up to wear and tear.

I've always used oil base paint or varnish outside, but in any case I think the procedure is similar. Keep up on the maintenance of the paint. If you see a crack, nick or pealing, hit that spot with sand paper & touch up. And before the finish fails, give the benches a sanding & recoat. This way you won't need to strip the whole bench.