+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil Based Deck Stain problem

I just used Cabots oil based paint stain on my deck. Soon after I applied, we had a torrential downpour. It has been two weeks now and when I move the patio furniture, it leaves surface marks. I asked the local paint store what is going on and they tell me the stain did not have enough time to fully dry before getting wet.. They also said that all I can do is wait for the stain to fully be absorbed, and then reapply. They’re suggesting around late August, early September. In the meantime, in looks terrible!...any ideas??

Default Re: Oil Based Deck Stain problem

Quote Originally Posted by honey do View Post
    I just used Cabots oil based paint stain on my deck. Soon after I applied, we had a torrential downpour. It has been two weeks now and when I move the patio furniture, it leaves surface marks. I asked the local paint store what is going on and they tell me the stain did not have enough time to fully dry before getting wet.. They also said that all I can do is wait for the stain to fully be absorbed, and then reapply. They’re suggesting around late August, early September. In the meantime, in looks terrible!...any ideas??
    Wait till after your first winter when it just peals away like mine does every year. I haven't found a stain yet that can stand up to snow in the winter. I have to coat every spring
    Harry