+ Reply to Thread

Question Choosing a Condenser

HI! We have decided to install an A/C system in our house. The house has a hot water heating system (i.e. no ducts!) so we will most likely go with a mini-duct high Velocity system.

We have quotes from three contractors that I consider reliable. The only significant difference is the condenser unit. The contractor with the lowest bid quoted a Goodman unit, the other two quoted Rheem and Lennox. I have searched the Internet and talked to knowledgeable people regarding the condenser. Anecdotally, Rheem and Lennox are "better" but most people did not know anything about Goodman.

Can anyone comment on their experience with these brands?

How do I choose a condenser?

Thanks so much for the help.

Default Re: Choosing a Condenser

Quote Originally Posted by brucebox View Post
    HI! We have decided to install an A/C system in our house. The house has a hot water heating system (i.e. no ducts!) so we will most likely go with a mini-duct high Velocity system.

We have quotes from three contractors that I consider reliable. The only significant difference is the condenser unit. The contractor with the lowest bid quoted a Goodman unit, the other two quoted Rheem and Lennox. I have searched the Internet and talked to knowledgeable people regarding the condenser. Anecdotally, Rheem and Lennox are "better" but most people did not know anything about Goodman.

Can anyone comment on their experience with these brands?

How do I choose a condenser?

Thanks so much for the help.
    I honestly can not give you an answer as to who has the best unit.
    I can tell you that manufactures typical have authorized dealers who can install their systems. They typically only have few dealers that can sell in your area. Rheem and Lennox have been around for years. I never personally heard of Goodman.

What I would want to know is how loud the unit is especially if it outside next to your deck.

How he calculated the size he is offering.

Also the credentials and references of the installing contractor.
    I.E Licenses, insurance and warrenty

Ask to look at a few installations of their high velocity installations as it is not a common installation.
    I would guess not many have done them.

Then weigh what you feel comfortable using. The lowest price is not always your best value.Keeep in mind he is going to be the one that has to support the factory if there is a future problem

Use your lowest prices estimate to bargain with the contractor you feel comfortable using.
    Harry

Default Re: Choosing a Condenser

I would continue to do more internet research---Google "goodman condenser AC quality" (with & without the quotation marks).

I've heard a lot of negative things about Goodman over the years in regards to quality control of their equipment, their lack of authorized installers & resultant poor quality control for installs, etc.

They seem to have a higher failure rate than the other brands.

Best rated seems to be Carrier, Trane, then Rheem/Rudd, & American Standard---lowest seems to be Goodman.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...260614882.html
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 07-01-2008 at 09:52 PM.