+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEC Question

Hybrid View

Default NEC Question

I'm planning on remodeling/extending my laundry room. Current plans the wife wants involves placing the washing machine directly under the breaker box. Is there anything about that against the NEC? Or anything special I have to do to do this by code?

Default Re: NEC Question

Being from Canada I can't comment on NEC requirements ---- however ---

inspectors don't like obstructions impeding panels though they will tolerate easily moveable objects.

The washer is an obstruction --- you have to ask yourself is it easily moveable?

The washer chassis is metal and grounded. If you or someone else is working on the panel you are likely touching the washer's chassis and there happens to be a ground fault you can be electrocuted.

Washing machine = water lines

It wouldn't be a good thing if a hose were to spring a leak and spray water up into the panel.

Common sense should also come into play here --- in my opinion I wouldn't locate the washer in close proximity to the electrical panel.

2 cents.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

NEC 110.26 A clear working space must be provided and maintained to allow safe access to all electrical equipment that may require examination or servicing while energized.
    A 3' depth clear space in front.
    A 30" clear space wide, with equipment doors being able to open 90 degrees.
    Now would this include something like a washer or dryer that could be pushed aside, but technically in that space outlined?
    I would think an inspector would veto such a layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    NEC 110.26 A clear working space must be provided and maintained to allow safe access to all electrical equipment that may require examination or servicing while energized.
    A 3' depth clear space in front.
    A 30" clear space wide, with equipment doors being able to open 90 degrees.
    Now would this include something like a washer or dryer that could be pushed aside, but technically in that space outlined?
    I would think an inspector would veto such a layout.
    Ah --- the NEC and CEC are the same for this.
    - Rush

Howdy code wants a space in front of the panel free from anything that extends to the panels sides and top and bottom and about 3' in front of it. I like to picture a 36" wide interior door in front of the panel and how nothing can be in the way of the door or opening it....
    Moreover a washing machine directly in front of a panel- there is allot of moisture given off into the air by a washing machine and the panels metal interior parts are damaged by corrosion. Moreover having handled numerous washing machine hose breaks insurance damage claims, believe me when i tell you the last nightmare you want is coming in to the flooding washroom seeing the water shooting from the broken hose spraying the panel. Did i say the last thing you wanted to see.... it might be the last thing experience of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy code wants a space in front of the panel free from anything that extends to the panels sides and top and bottom and about 3' in front of it. I like to picture a 36" wide interior door in front of the panel and how nothing can be in the way of the door or opening it....
    Moreover a washing machine directly in front of a panel- there is allot of moisture given off into the air by a washing machine and the panels metal interior parts are damaged by corrosion. Moreover having handled numerous washing machine hose breaks insurance damage claims, believe me when i tell you the last nightmare you want is coming in to the flooding washroom seeing the water shooting from the broken hose spraying the panel. Did i say the last thing you wanted to see.... it might be the last thing experience of your life.
    TM, you beat me to the post !!!!!
    Great minds think alike.
    And the NEC & CEC do agree most of the time, correct Canuk?

Ernie --- yep most of the time , A few minor differences here and there.
    Things like we have a limit to the number of devices on general circuits --- example would be 12 receptacles on a 15 amp circuit --- though some areas are even limiting the number to 10.
    - Rush

Thanks for the answers. I knew it wasn't a good idea to put the washer there, but if i didn't put it where she wanted it and the inspector said it would have been fine, I never would have heard the end of it. As long as i know it isn't allowed, i'm more than happy moving it somewhere else.

Hear ya Jim .
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Ernie --- yep most of the time , A few minor differences here and there.
    Things like we have a limit to the number of devices on general circuits --- example would be 12 receptacles on a 15 amp circuit --- though some areas are even limiting the number to 10.
    One issue I have always wondered about. Methinks limiting outlets per circuit is a great idea myself. 99% of all situations I limit that number to eight, so looks like I fly way under the radar.
    But by placing a limit on the amount of outlets you might introduce those cheap Dollar Store extension cords to provide power for devices not intended.