+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Septic Odor

Default Septic Odor

This just started....when my Wife does laundry, we get a Septic Odor in the Laundry room. We bought the house last year, and this is the first time we have had this issue. The waste line for the Laundry has a trap, so it puzzles me how gasses can enter past the trap???....the odor only occurs when doing laundry....when she's done, we just air out the room and the odor disapates. The Septic was pumped just before we closed on the house almost 1 year to the day....it just doesn't make sense to me.....any ideas???

Default Re: Septic Odor

Here is a picture of the plumbing that I can get to.....the pipe to the right is for the bathrooms above....in the middle is the washing machine waste....to the left is for the kitchen above. There is no floor drain in the Laundry room....it only happens when wash is being used...I was thinking a clogged Vent, and the trap being sucked dry....but figured the smell would then be all the time, not just during the wash being used....no sink in the washroom either....newer machine....this has just happened after many uses....Septic never tested...previous owners had it pumped the day the test was to take place....said they "did me a favor"...not realizing it couldn't be tested empty....the trap is lower than it looks

my question would be, where is your vent located? there has to be a vent pipe below your trap that allows the gas to escape other wise the gas will come back up the pipe being forced back on the trap. it probally is off one of the other lines either the kitchen or restroom, I would have a plumber come check because you say it just started so I would suspect that it is probally due to a soft clog off the kitchen.

just my guess, the picture really helps.

let us know if its anything close, we could sound like some of the wild guesses on ask this old house where they are trying to guess what an object is used for.

YUK what issues are you seeing from the picture that are major health issues?

YukYuk , when you get done here , there's a question for you over in the electrical forum . You know , the thread about the wall oven .

There is a Vent.....probably in the walls of the bathrooms upstairs....I just can't see them. I'm curious as to what you see wrong in the picture.....i believe this is all original to the house being built in 1978.....everythings been fine up till now

One problem, it appears from your picture that the P trap is below the main line and not vent. I would sugest you move the trap higher up and add a regular vent or a Studor Vent.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    I doubt that little of what we see in the photo is original.
    I have to ask, on what bases you make that assumption?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It does seem odd the "P" trap is so low.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I have to ask, on what bases you make that assumption?
    Jack
    Jack,
    I'm not license and certified plumber.

OP did say the house was built in 1978 and "believes" it is original pipes.

I remember cast iron drain and copper pipes are the most common in the 70's.
    Only time I've seen plastic pipes are the black pipe that is use for well water.

Hope that make sense.

if you said they're available back in the 70's then I have no authority to override you.

Leslie aka Yuk Yuk,
    Do yourself a favor, Post what you know not what you think you know.