+ Reply to Thread

Default Deck sinking in one corner

I have a covered 10'X 18' deck. It's connected to my house. Everything is solid, except one of the corners (Right - away from house) is sinking about 1/4". It drives me crazy, but I know it's not a safety thing. What can I do to get everything level?

Default Re: Deck sinking in one corner

How is the deck supported on that corner ?

Personally, if the structure is only 1/4 inch out in 10 or 18 feet I wouldn't worry.

The deck is supported by three 4X6 posts on 12" cement sonotubes. I double checked. It's off more like 1/2" vs. 1/4" like I previously stated. Can I just jack up the post that's a little off and shim it with 1/2" piece of pressure treated wood?
    Thanks for the help guys.

The post should be secured or fastened somehow to the concrete pier on the bottom and the deck at the top.
    You would need to unfasten either the top or bottom of the post to place the shim and then refasten the post.
    In my opinion even 1/2 inch out in 18 feet isn't something to loose sleep over.

I agree with you bsum1. I'm not concerned at all from a safety standpoint. It's all about looks. It's kind of like seeing a picture frame on a wall that's slightly off. It's just something that will drive me crazy until I fix it. Do you see any safety concerns with shimming it?

Are you telling us that you can tell the differences by looking at it?

Comparing picture frame on wall to deck is like comparing apples to oranges.

FYI...I haven't seen any house, cars or boats that is 100% perfectly square.

Anyway, you need to think twice before doing something like this. Sometimes it is best to let sleeping dog lie.