+ Reply to Thread

Default Our 1906 Georgian Revival Remodel

Four years ago we bought our old house on the north shore of Lake Erie. It was built in 1906 by the owners of the old house across the street as a summer home for their niece, then purchased by a local factory 'for housing management' ten years afterwards. In the fifties, the local building supply bought the house and duplexed it, adding a bathroom and another kitchen, and of course, more walls.
    Four years ago we bought the place and began to convert it back to a single family dwelling. First we removed all the trim and woodwork, then gutted it, right down to the studs. We beefed up the framing, removed the duplexing walls and extra rooms, and converted two bedrooms into one master with ensuite. We floored the entire house in tamarack (the original flooring was badly damaged), replaced all the windows with wood interior/aluminum exterior (the original windows had been replaced by cheap vinyl), and converted the walk-up attic into a gym/home theater.
    Here are a few pictures - don't read the captions if you have a sensitivity to salty language!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...e&id=653306323

Default Re: Our 1906 Georgian Revival Remodel

***! That was some undertaking... fabulous results, though, looks like quite a showplace now.

How long before you all could move in and live in it?

Salty language aside (but appropriately placed) I think you did a fantastic job. Kudos!
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The first year we didn't even live there, we kept our tiny rental apartment one city over. The old fella works in construction and has to be at work by six, so we'd get up at four, he'd drive me to the house and then go to work, I'd work on the house all day, he'd come there after work and we'd work together for a couple of hours, then he'd drive us home (I'm slightly vision impaired and don't drive). We'd spend some weekends at the house, sleep on the floor so we could work right through. We moved in after a year, before we were done, to save money and the inevitable happened - we slowed down. You know what it's like, once you're living in there it gets so eventually rough openings look entirely normal! We're in year four this July and are now working on landscaping and re-doing three porches.
    Thank you, Jack, for your kind words. I can't see the place objectively at all. I absolutely LOVED doing the work and wish I could do it for a living.

Talking Re: Our 1906 Georgian Revival Remodel

This is awesome. who cares about languages You all should've hear my wife and me saying multiples foul languages.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    You know what it's like, once you're living in there it gets so eventually rough openings look entirely normal!
    This cracked me up. My friends and family are overwhelmed with what we're living in right now and think we're absolutely crazy. I totally get what you said - after awhile, it's just normal to you.

Our Remodel Pictures: Hidden Content