+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Angry What's with the EVIL squirrles?

Im having a squirrel problem...specifically young ones. I have a lot of container plants and every year they dig in them and plant nuts. That much I can deal with however, this year they are obsessed with eating my sweet potatoe vines. I did not have this problem last year and I do not know what I can do to deter them from chewing on them any more. I know mari****s are supposed to deter pests but they already ate mine (evil squirrels). HELP! HELP!

Default Re: What's with the EVIL squirrles?

Funny. However, I live on a military base and if the neighbors saw that the MPs would be on my porch in a heartbeat.

I guess you can't sit out there with an air pistol and take 'em out, can you?

Of course, there are a number of poisons on the market that would do the trick, but then the other part of that equation is that other animals might eat the squirrel and also be poisoned, so that's not so good.

There are critter control companies that will come out and set the traps and also pick up the captives and take them away so you don't have to see any of the ugly stuff (like the drowning of them).
    I hate squirrels - yeah, yeah - they're funny and cute to watch, and remarkably clever little furry-tailed rats, but so destructive! if they get into your attic (on of their favourite places to winter..), they tend to chew on everything, and bring in fleas. and then they fall down between the walls and die and stink.

So since you really can't use a flame-thrower, the traps might be the best way.

You could try some of the deer, rabbit repellents. I don't know if they are listed for squirrels. Try a granular product, not a spray on. The spray ons are just for ornamentals.
    The squirrels in my yard tend to succumb to lead poisoning. I can understand if that isn't a viable option for you.