+ Reply to Thread

Question Knotty Pine in Maine cottage!

My Mom has a cottage that has all knotty wood pine walls and cabinets. The walls are fine but the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom are sticky, kind of gummy. Is there a cleaning product that you would recommend? I really don't want to strip all that wood especially because I'm concerned about how it would look in comparison to the walls. Any suggestions???

Default Re: Knotty Pine in Maine cottage!

TSP would probably be the best choice for cleanin the cabinets.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

TSP sounds like it might be a little harsh for wood you want to keep looking like wood, but then I've never used it on anything I wasn't about to paint. Personally, I LOVE Murphy's Oil Soap. I use it a few times a year to clean my aging wood floors, woodwork around the windows and my gnarly wooden kitchen table. Not only does it clean, but it kind of conditions the wood at the same time. My old wood floors don't have a sheen on them, and too much character to refinish at this point in time, but I use a little Murphy's mixed with water in a spray bottle, and my Swiffer to keep them looking great.

TSP works well on finished wood and does a great job of cutting oil and greas buildup.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I bought a house previously owned by a tongue and groove, knotty pine adddict. Entire rooms are covered - walls, ceilings, storage doors, doorways, etc. After eight years I am looking for ways to get rid of some of it. Maybe you can find someone in your region in the same position as I am and get used knotty pine cabinets from them in their efforts to rid their own house of an overabundance of the stuff.