+ Reply to Thread

Default Restoring Old Door Hardware?

My girlfriend and I are just finishing up the upstairs renovation in our 1880s cottage. We were able to keep most of the original features intact and now it is time to tackle the doors.

We want to keep the original doorknobs, hinges etc., but after many years of neglect and some bad paint jobs,they are in need of some help.

I've heard of people dipping the old hardware in various liquids to restore the original look/charm. Does anyone have suggestions for what we can do? I'd prefer to take the easiest route possible.

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Restoring Old Door Hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by theduke6000002 View Post
    My girlfriend and I are just finishing up the upstairs renovation in our 1880s cottage. We were able to keep most of the original features intact and now it is time to tackle the doors.

We want to keep the original doorknobs, hinges etc., but after many years of neglect and some bad paint jobs,they are in need of some help.

I've heard of people dipping the old hardware in various liquids to restore the original look/charm. Does anyone have suggestions for what we can do? I'd prefer to take the easiest route possible.

Thanks for your help
    Assuming they are brass and not a metal that rusts. I have heard warm soapy water soaking for a couple of days works.
    If not there are soy based paint strippers that are not harful to people or metal
    Harry

Thanks Harry! It seems like there would need to be at least a bit of elbow grease involved right?

On a couple of TOH projects, they soaked the hinges in an old crock-pot (full of soapy water, I believe) for a couple of hours. The paint seemed to come off easily then.
    HTH

Dave

You didn't say what kind of door knobs you have. If they are glass knobs type soaking for a long period of time may not be the best option it could loosen the mastic holding the glass.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It's a mixture of vinegar and water in a crock pot, it will take most of the paint off. The rest, use a plastic scrub brush. Do not soak glass door knobs, I found out the hard way, it will loosen the mastic.