+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen stove venting with old style fan set-up?

Maybe this should be posted somewhere under kitchens, but I wasn't sure.

We are remodeling the kitchen entirely. We have a funny, old-style fan mounted in the wall which is vented to the outside and opens and closes using a beaded pull-cord (see attached photo). We are wondering what our options are for upgrading. We don't know whether to go with an over-the-stove mounted microwave or just a regular hood, and with any of those options don't know how to reconfigure any venting to the outside that has to happen. Can the existing hole be used or does something new need to be cut which is situated a little higher? We'd like to avoid cutting new holes if at all possible because we don't know how the current hole would be patched up given that we have aluminum siding outside. Any advice for how to upgrade our current cooktop venting set-up? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchenfan.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	1247  

Default Re: Kitchen stove venting with old style fan set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by nugentcn View Post
    Maybe this should be posted somewhere under kitchens, but I wasn't sure.

We are remodeling the kitchen entirely. We have a funny, old-style fan mounted in the wall which is vented to the outside and opens and closes using a beaded pull-cord (see attached photo). We are wondering what our options are for upgrading. We don't know whether to go with an over-the-stove mounted microwave or just a regular hood, and with any of those options don't know how to reconfigure any venting to the outside that has to happen. Can the existing hole be used or does something new need to be cut which is situated a little higher? We'd like to avoid cutting new holes if at all possible because we don't know how the current hole would be patched up given that we have aluminum siding outside. Any advice for how to upgrade our current cooktop venting set-up? Thanks.
    If you pull the fan moter out of your unit and find the name and manufacture. Try their website they might have a retrofit that is more modern.
    I had a customer who had there house struck by lighting and I was able to get a new motor and grill. like the one you have
    Harry

Default Re: Kitchen stove venting with old style fan set-up?

does something new need to be cut which is situated a little higher?
    I would have to say yes it's very likely you will need to repositon the ducting if you change to a different venting system.

Looking at your picture the existing fan opening would be too low for any other type of system.