+ Reply to Thread

Default what direction should the return air grilles face

I just bought a house and am in the process of fixing it up. I am putting the return air grilles and was not sure what direction the louvers should face. I figured the ones up high should face a direction so that you can not see in the cavity but just checking.

Default Re: what direction should the return air grilles face

Quote Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
    I just bought a house and am in the process of fixing it up. I am putting the return air grilles and was not sure what direction the louvers should face. I figured the ones up high should face a direction so that you can not see in the cavity but just checking.
    You are correct mount them so you can not see into the return. A good trick to also help is to paint the inside of the return plenum behind the grilles flat black.
    Just make sure your furnace is off while painting and till it dries.
    Harry

The "correct" answer would be to install the louvers to direct air in the direction most helpful to circulation. By that logic, you'd need to turn them 180-degrees each season depending upon whether you wanted to blow cool air up or heated air down.

That said, I'd turn them so you can't see into the duct. We don't spend this kind of time fixing up our houses so we can look into unattractive ducts, do we?

I am putting the return air grilles and was not sure what direction the louvers should face.
    By that logic, you'd need to turn them 180-degrees each season depending upon whether you wanted to blow cool air up or heated air down.
    return vents don't blow air.

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Ideally air is drawn from the room(s) and into the ducts to return. Air flows through them.

The direction of the louvers or fins would depend on the position of the return itself in the room. Many return grills have no louvers or fins, and instead are a flat, sometimes decoratively designed, grillwork. Not all return grills are equal, depending on design, they can excessively restrict the flow of air and adversely effect the balance of a forced air system. Generally, registers don't belong on returns. A delicate balance between mechanical ventillation and convection drafting is compensated for in a properly balanced system to provide for healthy and comfortable air exchange.
    Like I said, return vents don't blow air, so they wouldn't need to be turned "180 degrees each season depending upon whether you wanted to blow cool air up or heated air down" , as previously posted.

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    Like I said, return vents don't blow air, so they wouldn't need to be turned "180 degrees each season depending upon whether you wanted to blow cool air up or heated air down" , as previously posted.
    I agree...Air is pulled into the return so it really doesn't matter which way they are installed.
    Harry

well technically your mouth doesn't blow air rather it comes from your lungs and the muscles constricting on your lungs. but it sure sounds stupid when a person is trying to be helpful in correcting a wrong thought and try to make issue over something like that the only reason you would be so offensive is if it was one of your new personalities that he corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Your point is lost, no vents BLOW air. Both the supply and return ducting contain, conDUCT, (restrict,) and direct the flow of air. The Air-handler (and booster fans should they exist), air pressure(or lack thereof) and convection (temperature) energy (among other factors) determine the FLOW (velocity, volume, etc.) of the air in the system.
    Like I said return vents don't blow air. Why are you splitting hairs and rambling on?
    Last edited by bsum1; 06-30-2008 at 10:02 PM.