+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electric wall oven connection

Quote Originally Posted by doingitall View Post
    The panel says Bryant as the manufacturer. Where do I find the size of the main breaker?
    it should be at the top of the panel all alone. The size is marked on the handle of the breaker.
    If it is not at the top then it should be marked in your panel schedual or next to the breaker. Again on the handle of the breaker it should be marked on the handle. It might be marked lighting main
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Not all electrical main panels have a single main disconnect, there could be up to six disconnects.

You might have a Bryant (CH) Split bus panel, split bus panels have no "true" main. The 120 circuts have a breaker "main" 220/240 breaker with a number of 120 circut breakers beneath them, and each of the remaining 3-5 240v breaker positions have their own 220/240v breaker, which are all simultaneously powered by the service entrance from the utility. If your bryant panel is actually a sub panel, you MIGHT have a main panel with a single true main circuit breaker or fuse set disconnect nearer the meter head (where ground is bonded).

Determining your service capacity: http://www.warreninspect.com/Electric+Service+Capacity
    Read more about split bus panels here: http://www.inspect-ny.com/electric/Zinsco.htm
    I am well aware of what type of panels there are. I am trying to help him determine what kind he has. If you look at my post I also suggested if it is not located it by itself it would be marked on the panel schedual. It also would be a 60 amp lighting main. If it is a split buss panel I am going to suggest he hire a electrician as it is not a safe way of changing it safely. Let us determine what kind of panel before you jump to conclussions.... Geeez To much information can cloud a persons ability to understand what he needs to do. A step by step way is a lot easier for a layman to understand. Geez
    Harry

Harry, Question. Normal code calls for breaker size to match wiring not load. For instance 14 ga wire 15 amp breaker even though it may go the a 100 watt light that only draws less the 1 amp. Is the requirement for hard wired appliance like the oven covered by different code?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Breaker has to protect for the weakest link in the wiring system JLMcDaniel - that would include taps, connectors (wire nuts), etc. If the listed appliance requires protection by a 30 amp breaker not a 40 amp one that too has to be respected.
    So you're saying that I should change my 20 amp breaker that feeds my dedicated computer outlet with a 1000 KVA ups to a 10 amp breaker? As I ask is the code different because the oven is hard wired?
    By the way if you are going to question someone else's qualifications you should start by declaring your own qualifications.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I appreciate everyone's input and as it seems like this is much too complicated for my limited knowledge of electrical work, I will call an electrician to swap out my 40 amp for a 30 amp. Once that has been done I will make the connections as Harry described. thanks again.
    david

Maybe one of you " senior " members might remember , but didn't I hear that her father was a retired electrician out of one of the locals in Chicago ?