+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electric wall oven connection

I purchased a new kitchen aid electric wall oven to replace an old electric oven. The new oven has a black, white, red and ground wire while the supply wires are only black, white and ground. I could use some help on what to do with the red wire from the oven. Thanks.

Default Re: Electric wall oven connection

you need to have an electrician come out and run you a new line for your oven your old one is 110 and your new one is 220 on a 220 line the black and red are hot the white is your neutral and of course your ground

I would assume the old oven is 220 volt appliance?
    That would mean as you described that you have power on your black and your white wire?

Is it hooked to a two pole breaker black on one pole and a white on the other pole?
    You can take a voltage tester and check each wire to ground to see if each one has 120 volts.

If it does then you can hook it up this way
    Black of the new oven to black wire
    Red of the new oven to the white
    White and ground of the new oven to the ground wire.

What has happened is the code has changed requiring a separate ground and neutral for all new installations.

If it is an older installation like yours you can hook it up as described.

I assume it is #10 wire and the oven says to use a 30 amp breaker. ?

Better check your power requirements

if it is larger then 30 amps I would not use wire nuts as a connection either.

If you have more questions ask to make a safe connection
    Harry

Hi, the old oven was 220. It is on a two pole breaker (each pole says 40 on it (40amps?)), with the black and white wire each measuring120.

I'm not sure about the gauge but it is very thick and heavy. The new oven says the following:
    30 Ampere, 208/240 Volts, 60 Hertz (1/second). AC-ONLY. USE COPPER WIRE ONLY. A FOUR-WIRE OR THREE-WIRE, SINGLE PHASE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY REQUIRED. A TIME-DELAY FUSE OR CIRCUIT BREAKER AND SEPARATE CIRCUIT IS RECOMMENDED

if wire nuts are not to be used then what should be?
    thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by doingitall View Post
    Hi, the old oven was 220. It is on a two pole breaker (each pole says 40 on it (40amps?)), with the black and white wire each measuring120.

I'm not sure about the gauge but it is very thick and heavy. The new oven says the following:
    30 Ampere, 208/240 Volts, 60 Hertz (1/second). AC-ONLY. USE COPPER WIRE ONLY. A FOUR-WIRE OR THREE-WIRE, SINGLE PHASE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY REQUIRED. A TIME-DELAY FUSE OR CIRCUIT BREAKER AND SEPARATE CIRCUIT IS RECOMMENDED

Three wire single Phase is what Ravens53 was describing. Your requirement is 30 amps so you can use wire nuts. You may even want to change the breaker but it is not required. However you may want to check with your building dept to see if this is permitted in your jurisdiction. Personally I prefer installing an outlet, if room allows, for the power and a plug on the unit, that way it's a lot easier to disconnect if it needs to be pulled for service.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-30-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You need to change the breaker to a 30 amp tow pole breaker. The wires are fine as the are oversized. Make sure you twist the two wires together and use a wire nut that is correct for the size wire you have and tighten it clockwise. The I would wrap electrical tape clockwise around the wire nut and down on too the wires. I prefer to use what in the trade is called bugs or split bolts connectors. That requires tightining the wires together in like a bolt that has a slot in the bolt. then wrap in rubber tape and electrical tape as a insulation. g00d luck
    Harry

What would happen if I did not change the breaker to 30 amp? It seemed like JLMCDANIEL said it was not required.

What would happen if I did not change the breaker to 30 amp? It seemed like JLMCDANIEL said it was not required.
    Then the oven is not protected properly and it becomes a code violation.There is a good reason your manufacture of the oven says it should be protected by a 30 amp breaker. If for some reason you have a fault that leeds to a fire your insurance company may not cover your claim.

Changing a breaker is easy enough to change. If you need help go look down at your panel and see what kind of panel it is (manufacture). The look to see what size main breaker you have and let me know I can walk you through it.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Three wire single Phase is what Ravens53 was describing. Your requirement is 30 amps so you can use wire nuts. You may even want to change the breaker but it is not required. However you may want to check with your building dept to see if this is permitted in your jurisdiction. Personally I prefer installing an outlet, if room allows, for the power and a plug on the unit, that way it's a lot easier to disconnect if it needs to be pulled for service.
    Jack
    Jack he said wall oven not stove so it is unlikely it will be pulled othen that replace the unit. I just thought you didn't see it was a wall oven
    Harry

The panel says Bryant as the manufacturer. Where do I find the size of the main breaker?