+ Reply to Thread

Default options for building a new garage

I would like to have a new garage built and I considering my options as far as what type to build. Should I stick with tradional block foundation and stick framing? Should I put up a pole type structure? Or, should I do something with a permanent wood foundation with stick framing on top of it-sort of a hybrid between the two? I want to save money, but also want to have a durable, long lasting structure.

Default Re: options for building a new garage

IMHO I would go with a poured concrete foundation (normally used in my area of the north east) or the block foundation if that is used in your area. Concrete is going to be there a lot longer than wood even if it is pressure treated. The important thing of course is to make sure you go below the frost line and put the proper footings. Your local building officials will tell you what is needed. Then you can go with a traditional stick framed building. One thing you may want to keep in mind using the space above the garage as storage. I did this in my garage that I built last summer. I used I-Joist for the ceiling/second floor so that I would not have to have any posts in the middle of the garage. Good luck in your project.

Smile Re: options for building a new garage

it really depends on the area your in, what fits with your neighborhood and budget a garage could be as simple as a pole building with a gravel floor, even if it is conventionaly framed if there is no heat you could go slab on grade (on good soil ) with no frost wall they are only efective if there is heat on one side,
    hope this helps
    mike

Go with block or poured foundation a stick built. You can put stone down for the floor and add concrete later. Insulate later. And turn it into a shop later.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you don't have a preference between stick-built or post frame construction then I would suggest you build a pole barn garage. You will come out thousands of dollars cheaper. I am a stick frame garage builder and I can't even come close to competing against the guys who do post frame construction.