+ Reply to Thread

Question Help Stain a wood ceiling

What is the least messy way to apply stain to a wood ceiling? (smooth panelling) I'm afraid of splashing the stain everywhere.

Default Re: Help Stain a wood ceiling

Ashwork -

You might try a sheepskin pad. These are available at most good paint stores. Home Depot has them too. They have a wooden grip that allows you to keep your fingers out of the stain. You may still have to use a brush to get into any deeply groved edges and corners. But in truth, staining is a messy operation, especially overhead.

Smile Re: Help Stain a wood ceiling

I ended up using a 4 inch poly sponge brush and wiped of the excess with a cloth until I achieved the coverage I wanted. I used a water based semi-transparent stain and the mess was minimal and water clean up!! Next time I would stain before installing or if already installed I would use a poly roller, should be faster. ashwork

Default Re: Help Stain a wood ceiling

how to stain overhead? 1.get hat with unbrella 2.sweatshirt,put on,tape cuffs tight around wrists 3.get any type application tool and have fun.There is no easy way............try spraying,dial pressure down,start with hvlp or conventional,dont use airless.you still have to cover everything and still have to cut walls back in w/paint when done.Also,WHERE SOME TYPE OF GOGGLES,CAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO GET STAIN ON YOU.