+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage drain backing up after a heavy rain

We just had new gutters and downspouts installed a few weeks ago. We had a brief, heavy rain today, and our garage drain backed up, shooting water up like a geyser. We live in Ohio, in a ranch house, with a full basement. The basement drains are completely dry and no water came in. Yet the garage, which is on the ground floor (higher than the basement, of course), flooded like crazy.

I assume part of the problem is the new gutters, because they are clean and unclogged, are letting so much rain in the drains can't handle it. Could this be a simple problem that one of the drains from the gutters are clogged, and if so, how can I verify this? Any other suggestions? While the rain was heavy, we've had worse with no problems.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Default Re: Garage drain backing up after a heavy rain

Do you have any idea where your garage drain and down spouts is connect to? [storm drain or ?]

Actually, I had the plumber out and he asked the same question. The house was built in 1958 and my husband has lived here since 1964, but he didn't know where they went to. The house originally had a well water/septic system so we thought possibly they drained toward the septic system. We also sit up on a hill, so the plumber thought the line would just dump out somewhere downhill in a creek we have on the property, but we know there are no obvious openings for any water to exit.

He did clear some tree roots about 150 feet out. We are hoping that is all that it was. But now we are wondering if the problem continues how we can ever find out where these drains empty to. The plumber put dye in the line and we never saw any die come through on the stream on our property, which is where he thought the water ended up.

At this point, we are hoping it was only a "root" problem and will watch it closely at the next rain.

by the way, the plumber said that storm gutters never drain into the sewer or septic system, but I thought that they did. Sometimes I guess I just don't understand the finer art of water drainage!

We also sit up on a hill, so the plumber thought the line would just dump out somewhere downhill in a creek we have on the property, but we know there are no obvious openings for any water to exit.
    This being a garage drain ... I would hope it doesn't drain to a creek.

how we can ever find out where these drains empty to
    Check with a drain cleaning company that will scope the lines. There are scopes that also include a radio signal transmitter and the technician will have a receiver to track where the lines go. This method will tell exactly where they are ... where they go and how far down they are.

You haven't indicated where the down spouts go.
    Do they empty into a drain pipe or just outside onto the ground .... see illustration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	basementFlood_drainage.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	1252  
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush