+ Reply to Thread

Wink Entry Door Mishap

I just thought I'd share a funny story that occured while attempting to install our new entry door:

We decided to replace our old, original, rotting wood doors with brand, spanking new fiberglass ones. We measured and ordered the doors weeks ago. They finally arrived and my hubby and his brother picked them up and successfully installed the side door last Saturday (yea!). On Sunday they tackled the front door. After fully disassembling the original door, molding, concrete stoop and all, the door didn't fit. Too tall. I guess we should have listened when they told us to measure the height as well.

So after work on Sunday night I came home to a sheet of heavy-duty plywood as a front door (at least they nailed it into place! LOL). The next day we delivered the door back to the lumber yard to be cut down to size, however we will be living w/ our plywood "door" for about a week. So, in honor of all my hubby's hard work and frustration, the boys and I decided to paint the door for him while he was at work. This is what he came home to:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6170519 (Large).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	1227  

Default Re: Entry Door Mishap

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    He forgot to add the width of the tape measure and all of the trusses came out three inches to short for the building.
    My favorite is when you "bury and inch" to get an accurate reading, then forget to add that inch to your length. I was replacing a section of wood handrail, bought a piece long enough for the job, measured it up (with a buried inch ), marked the piece, cut, and voila! One inch too short! DOH!!!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    my bad habit is the long point/short point measurement for trim

ill measure what i need transfer the mark onto whatever im cutting and ill measure 82 5/8" square to short point for a mitre and ill cut the mark as my long point
    Something that might help is to put into your mind as you're measuring "heel" and "toe". So as you're reading the measurement it would be "" 82-5/8" heel "", then when you're transferring the measurement to your trim you're hearing yourself repeat this back, lessening the likelihood of a boo-boo.

BTW, boo-boo is an industry technical term.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well I'm glad I don't make any of those mistakes.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

This isn't a measuring mishap -- you chose not to measure! We all get brain dead every once in a while. I like your attitude. My problem usually comes when I plan my purchase of materials perfectly -- you know this length of crown moulding, that length of another -- and then I make a dumb mistake and have to splice a piece of woodwork which I planned to be a single, continuous, perfect piece. That's what I get for so easily getting proud of myself.