+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy interior new paint peeling

hello. i wanted to change the interior color in my home, i went and got a semi gloss paint, and i painted the whole room, still next day felt not dry, its been a week. and feels like its tacky, and i bumbed into the door way wall, and it nicked it, like it pushed the paint back, so i picked at it , and now it peels like dry skin, it feels rubber, im afraid to touch the other walls, what did i do wrong, and what do i do now? i was told to put primer over the paint , and wait a good couple of days. and repaint, ? but am i wasting my time puting something over paint that didnt bond good? and that will peel off ? please please help? thanks mike

Default Re: interior new paint peeling

What can I say friend as after hearing your problem I am convinced now what seemed to be a child's play is actually not that easy at all. In a spree to renovate my walls of the living room I also made haste and decided to apply paint myself and in my case the problem was the paint never seem to be there. I mean as soon as I finished a portion of the wall it started to show both the old and new color to my disgust, though I am sure I left no corners untouched. Now here again while I was searching for remedies I get to see your problem which even saddens me more. So is the painting work best done by those who are into this!
    I like to use Hidden Content

Default Re: interior new paint peeling

You failed to state what type of finish you were painting over. I suspect it was over a finish having a higher sheen than flat. Whenever applying a semi-gloss finish, it is worth the effort to prime the wall first. One of primers functions is to assure adhesion to slick surfaces. It will also seal porous surfaces. Either way, it will assure adhesion and assure that the sheen of the finish coat is uniform.

Acrylic (latex) paints will dry to the touch very quickly, but fully cure over several weeks. This is more true of deep colors which have been tinted with several ounces of colorant. Universal colorants use a liquid base which is a relative of automotive anti-freeze. It retards the drying time.

If after several days of drying, the paint still peels back easily, I fear your nly option is to try to physically peel back the remaining film of paint. The adhesion of subsequent coats of paint will be only as good as that which you have already applied. Indeed, another coat may even cause further peeling problems by adhering to your paint and then pulling it loose at it cures.

If you get back to the original paint, I would rough it up with sandpaper and then apply a good primer such as the "Gripper" or Behr's 75 Undercoater.