Poll: Should I drain water from my boiler more than once per year?

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Need Advice on Proper Boiler Maintenance

Hello, everyone!

I've heard differing opinions on how to properly maintain my home's boiler (pictured below). I know I should have it cleaned by my heating company once per year, but I'm wondering about regular maintenance I should do at home.

Some have told me it's appropriate to occasionally (once per week) drain one gallon of water from the boiler, removing some of the dirtiest water. A technician from my heating company told me not to do this at all, because adding fresh water into the system brings minerals into the system, which speeds up rusting of the pipes.

Can someone please set the record straight? Should I drain water out of my boiler or not? And how much / how often, if so?

Default Re: Need Advice on Proper Boiler Maintenance

Does anyone have any advice on this? Please?

Since you have an electronic low water cutoff there is no reason to drain anything.
    The older mechanical type had a blow down valve that was opened once a week to flush any accumulated dirt or sediment from the chamber.
    The manufacturers of the electronic type recommend removing the probe once a year and cleaning it regardless of whether it's a steam or hydronic system.

Thank you, Jim! Glad to hear I don't have to drain water regularly.