+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Connecting new copper wire to old aluminum wire

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I agree.
    Methinks Lloyd is talking about a copper to tin-plated copper connection here.
    Indeed I was but ever happened to those overpriced blue wirenuts that came with deox in them? They still around? I beleive they were listed a listed connector for cu to al splice.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

I've seen them advertised but as far as I know they were never approved.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You made me google it Jack.

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...ster_al-cu.jsp

Doesnt say weather it requires pretwisting or not but I would.

I know using a regular wirenut and nolux isnt really considered an "excepted method" but I been doin it for years and I am comfortable with it. besides the depth of these and that little skirt I dont see much difference.

Another thing I have noticed over the years when you find a "fail" in an aluminum splice, that doesnt involve a device, you can usually see where it was "gouged" when it was stripped.. like someone dug there dykes in it too far stripping it.

I also use nolux on devices when its aluminum, not to mention sidewinding, clamping the loop closed around the screw all the way, and using a slotted screwdriver to make sure its as tight as you can get it.

but your results may vary.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    You made me google it Jack.

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...ster_al-cu.jsp

Doesnt say weather it requires pretwisting or not but I would.

I know using a regular wirenut and nolux isnt really considered an "excepted method" but I been doin it for years and I am comfortable with it. besides the depth of these and that little skirt I dont see much difference.

Another thing I have noticed over the years when you find a "fail" in an aluminum splice, that doesnt involve a device, you can usually see where it was "gouged" when it was stripped.. like someone dug there dykes in it too far stripping it.

I also use nolux on devices when its aluminum, not to mention sidewinding, clamping the loop closed around the screw all the way, and using a slotted screwdriver to make sure its as tight as you can get it.

but your results may vary.
    I have never made up an cu/al splice in my life, but I too would pretwist the connection as well. {But I pretwist every connection possible**. Aluminum cable was just not used in place of say 12/2 copper Romex, in these parts.
    I also agree that a wire nut & OX-Guard on a pretwisted connection is the same product made by Idea Industries. And would not hesitate to make up that connection.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I've seen them advertised but as far as I know they were never approved.
    Jack
    According to an Ideal PDF I was researching last night {for something else, of course**, they are an approved method.
    "Complies with NEC Sec. #110-14{b** for a aluminum to copper connection. Just thought I would pass that tidbit on".
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 02-12-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spellin, of course

I knew they had CSA approval, but hadn't seen them listed by U.S. Consumer Safety. Their lit does say they are UL approved so I may stand corrected.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I knew they had CSA approval, but hadn't seen them listed by U.S. Consumer Safety. Their lit does say they are UL approved so I may stand corrected.
    Jack
    It is rare to find a device UL approved but not approved by the CSA. Might be the case here though.
    I would never hesitate to use an IDEAL product, though.

Well, I found out that the wire was coated copper so I am fortunate that I did not have to deal with Aluminum connection points.

So, thank you all for the information and I hope that it helps when someone runs into this issue in the future.

Thanks Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lots-o-work View Post
    Well, I found out that the wire was coated copper so I am fortunate that I did not have to deal with Aluminum connection points.

So, thank you all for the information and I hope that it helps when someone runs into this issue in the future.

Thanks Again!
    Good to hear ...
    Does anyone know off hand when the era of aluminum wire was being used in place of copper Romex?

I ran into a similar problem yesterday when replacing an outdoor flood light fixture, the wires to the fixture are definitely aluminum. We have not run into this kind of wiring anywhere else in the house. Alumicom was mentioned earlier, is this a connector or what? I plan on replacing the aluminum wire but until I can do that can I just keep the light off at the light switch to prevent a fire issue? Thank you.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke