+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Connecting new copper wire to old aluminum wire

I am tearing up an old sun room and noticed that the wiring is the old style, it looks aluminum probably 50+ years old. It looks to be in good shape but I would like to replace what I can. I believe that I will be able to trace it to a junction point where I can replace the wiring from the junction to the outlets. Once I do the remodel in the other room I will then try to replace that wire all the way back to the breaker. My question is can I attach new copper wire with the old stuff? Since the wall is open now it is the best time to change out the section of wiring I am just not sure if this would cause any issues. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Default Re: Connecting new copper wire to old aluminum wire

There are special connectors that need to be used for copper to aluminium .
    You will need to have an electrical permit and inspection done especially when it comes to aluminium wiring ---- insurance companies are very particular about this.

To be honest if you can run new copper from the panel that would be best.
    Besides --- I wonder if this room shouldn't be on it's own circuit to begin with.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with Canuk. At this point there are only two types of connectors that are approved for AL to CU connections. One is a crimp connector that requires a special crimping tool (about $200) the other is the Alumiconn connectors
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is the wire in question aluminum?
    Depending on the type of wire used during the original instillation, it might just have been coated with Tin{?** over copper.
    Just a thought.....
    If it is indeed aluminum, follow the advise posted above and you will not go wrong.....
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 02-01-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spellin

Interesting, it looks like the wire is copper with some sort of plating. So now what? Do I treat this as traditional copper wire and just tap into it?

It seems like my options are to either change out the wiring at the point it enters the sun porch or tap into another circuit where the wiring has already been updated, then cap off the old wiring inside the wall, then leave a access point. The problem with this is that there may already be too many circuits on the new wiring’s breaker. So you know I will be replacing 3 or 4 plugs.

Hence the post

Quote Originally Posted by Lots-o-work View Post
    Interesting, it looks like the wire is copper with some sort of plating. So now what? Do I treat this as traditional copper wire and just tap into it?

It seems like my options are to either change out the wiring at the point it enters the sun porch or tap into another circuit where the wiring has already been updated, then cap off the old wiring inside the wall, then leave a access point. The problem with this is that there may already be too many circuits on the new wiring’s breaker. So you know I will be replacing 3 or 4 plugs.
    If it is indeed "plated copper" you can proceed as if it were pure copper.
    Think of it in the same way as the old K & T wiring solder connections that when made would be taped over with rubber tape then friction tape. Outdated method by todays standards, but standing the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by paretoslaw View Post
    With those questions you will be better served to call someone who knows what the H he is doing.
    There are a few people on here that do know what the H there doing.

Generally a good pretwisted splice and a tight wirenut is fine. Want to be sure add a little deox or nolux
    Last edited by Lloyd; 02-06-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: forgot the e in the // battlin with my fingers tonight i guess
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    There are a few people on here that do know what the H there doing.

Generally a good pretwisted splice and a tight wirenut is fine. Want to be sure add a little deox or nolux
    If it were cu to al this method is not approved.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If it were cu to al this method is not approved.
    Jack
    I agree.
    Methinks Lloyd is talking about a copper to tin-plated copper connection here.