+ Reply to Thread

Default hair dryer problem

The same electrical wire to the fuse box comes from guest bathroom (2nd flr) and the master bedroom's bathroom. The circuit breaker on the fuse box had 15amps. If my daughter and my wife use the hair dryer at the same time, the circuit breaker on the fuse box got tripped. If my daughter uses the hair dryer and I use the bathroom with the light/fan, it got tripped, too. I tried to change the circuit breaker to 20 amps but it didn't help. How can I fix that? Do I need to re-wire the electrical wire for the guest bathroom? FYI: The guest bathroom has an outlet with circuit breaker built-in (it didn't work). Please help! Thank you very much.

Angry Re: hair dryer problem

Quote Originally Posted by bestpilot7 View Post
    The same electrical wire to the fuse box comes from guest bathroom (2nd flr) and the master bedroom's bathroom. The circuit breaker on the fuse box had 15amps. If my daughter and my wife use the hair dryer at the same time, the circuit breaker on the fuse box got tripped. If my daughter uses the hair dryer and I use the bathroom with the light/fan, it got tripped, too. I tried to change the circuit breaker to 20 amps but it didn't help. How can I fix that? Do I need to re-wire the electrical wire for the guest bathroom? FYI: The guest bathroom has an outlet with circuit breaker built-in (it didn't work). Please help! Thank you very much.
    No offense ---- the circuit breaker is designed to safely disconnect the circuit in the event the amount of current being drawn on the wiring exceeds the amount it is rated for---- it was doing it's job.

The fact the hair dryers running at the same time as each other or with the light/fan should tell you are exceeding the safe limit of the circuit.

By replacing the 15 amp with a 20 amp circuit breaker you subjected the wiring to more amperage than it's rated for. This would allow the wire to overheat and could cause a fire or someone could have been seriously injured ----- dangerous and foolish.

Which means the wiring needs to be upgraded and the bathroom circuits need to be seperated to safely meet your demands.

In other words it's time to call in an electrician to run a seperate 20 circuit to each bathroom . This would include 12 gauge wiring feed from the panel to the bathrooms to a receptacle. The receptacle would be proteceted with a 20 amp breaker which could be a GFI breaker or a standard one with the receptacle being a GFCI.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: hair dryer problem

Ditto!
    Never upsize a circuit breaker, it is rated for the wiring installed. Each bath room should be on a separate 20amp circuit with appropriate wiring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb