+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-wire phone jack

Help!

I'm having trouble re-wiring a phone jack. There wasn't a jack there before, but the wires are there.

I bought a Phillips RJ12 and it has the following wires:
    Green, Red, Black, White, yellow, blue

The house wires are:
    Orange, green, white w/yellow stripe, white w/blue stripe
    Also there is a white and a blue wire - both are capped off.

I've tried a number of configurations but can't get a dial tone.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Default Re: Re-wire phone jack

I guess the first question is --- that cable you have is the other end connected to anything?

If so I would suspect the 2 wires capped would be the live tip and ring conductors.
    With a volt meter you can check for DC volts higher than 30 to see if they are live.

One would be connected to the green and the other to the red on the RJ12 jack.
    It's always nice to have the correct polarity though it's not as important these days with modern phones ----the phone will work if reversed.

*** Warning ---- careful --- don't touch both wires at the same time with your hands otherwise you will get one heck of a jolt --- especially if a call is coming down the line at that time.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    It's always nice to have the correct polarity though it's not as important these days with modern phones ----the phone will work if reversed.
    The phones will work just fine, but it raises havoc with computer connections, especially multiple computers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The phones will work just fine, but it raises havoc with computer connections, especially multiple computers.
    Eh ?!?!?
    What you talk'n about Willis
    - Rush

What are you asking me for, you're the computer guru ...

When we had our DSL hooked up we had a lot of noise problem on the line, resulting in slow and connection drops. Aside from having to install filters on all the lines, a few of the phone jacks were reverse polarity.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Naw --- reverse polarity has nothing to do with the DSL performance.

The phone company just had a crappy signal being suppied to the home or you may not have had filters on the phones orginally.

The filters are standard equipment for DSL circuits to prevent interference from the analog equipment like phones and fax machines from disruppting the DSL sharing the same line or the DSL causing noise interference on the same analog equipment.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    The phone company just had a crappy signal being suppied to the home
    We get plenty of that too. They're always climbing the poles and messing with the lines. We've had the guy out here so many times that he's given us his direct contact number. Last time he was out he had to go up three or four different poles to clean up the rats nests that other installers had created which messed things up too.

But, that all diverts us from suzami's questions.

Quote Originally Posted by suzami View Post
    Help!

I'm having trouble re-wiring a phone jack. There wasn't a jack there before, but the wires are there.

I bought a Phillips RJ12 and it has the following wires:
    Green, Red, Black, White, yellow, blue

The house wires are:
    Orange, green, white w/yellow stripe, white w/blue stripe
    Also there is a white and a blue wire - both are capped off.

I've tried a number of configurations but can't get a dial tone.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Go out and open the consumer side of the barrier box and see what wires are connected to the red and green screws. Connect those two wires to the red and green in the RJ12, none of the other wires are required unless you have two lines.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The D-mark might be extended into the house or maybe tapped off another mod box which may not have the same color conductors.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Go out and open the consumer side of the barrier box and see what wires are connected to the red and green screws. Connect those two wires to the red and green in the RJ12, none of the other wires are required unless you have two lines.
    Jack
    GB makes a very inexpensive fone line polarity tester.
    Runs about six bucks, is small & handy, with a LED light that will indicate proper wiring as well.