+ Reply to Thread

Default walls covered with dark 70eis paneling

Does anybody know of the easy, inexpensive way to cover the dark wood paneling without ripping panels off?

Default Re: walls covered with dark 70eis paneling

You can paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrosen View Post
    Does anybody know of the easy, inexpensive way to cover the dark wood paneling without ripping panels off?
    Easy and inexpensive?? LOLOL...you know what that usually ='s doncha?
    Like ed said...paint..but you already knew that didn't you???
    Hmmmmmm.
    Listen..NOTHING'S Easy and cheap and worth living with long(Don't even go there anyone...lol).
    Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.
    What you can do to "lessen" the work might be to laminate the paneling with 1/4" drywall. Using drywall adhesive and a minimal amt of screws would help too, but some how I get a feeling this might be too much work???
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Hey Andy,

Good to hear from ya. Been quite a while.

Whereabouts are you these days? Did you get the house sold and a new/different one bought?

Great seeing you again ****!!
    This house is still fer sale and I ain't lowering the price anymore
    Instead I've concentrated all my energies in restarting my biz up again b/c it went south due to all the energy I spent on this house. Bummer huh?
    And in this economy restarting up a renovations biz ain't easy. I pulled out all my cards. Did everything I knew and voila'...I'm up and running and hardly have any time for myself which I guess is ok....for now. Kind of exhausted but at least the bills are getting paid and you know what they must be. Taxes alone went up to $18,500...
    What a killer this economy is now.
    Luckily all my work is within ten minutes of this house
    You should see some of these wird projects I finished the past few months...REALLYYYYYYYYY weird ones (of course...lol).

I'd love to get this dump sold and move to the mtns in the Asheville NC area...buy me a saw mill...take some classes in timber framing and build me a TF house on a mtn top somewhere. Soon come dude...soon come!

The Forestry Forum is kind of a fun site but it's been torture looking at everyone else buildin' and sawin' TF's so I'm layin' low fer now...lol.
    Last edited by andybuildz; 07-31-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Hey Andy,

Good to hear from ya. Been quite a while.

Whereabouts are you these days? Did you get the house sold and a new/different one bought?
    Check out my first timber frame job I did with two other guys. Just a ceiling in Watermill (EastHampton) here on LI. Did it several months ago. Just a taste till I finally move and get into it more...Incorporate it into what I already know.
    Oh geezzzz...hiJack alert.
    Sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceiling 10.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	1448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceiling 5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	1449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceiling 6.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	1450  
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Last year I painted over paneling in my brother's house and it worked just fine. It's quite attractive, actually. Someday he wants to tear it out and install drywall, but this works well right now.

Use a household cleaner to scrub the paneling, then lightly sand, wipe down, prime and then paint.

I sure wouldn't put drywall over paneling. It's not a lot of effort to do it right and tear it out first.

Right..it's important to scrub the finish of the paneling to a dull finish.
    I like using TSP.
    I also like then using a Zinnser (1-2-3) or similar primer http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?categoryid=1
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Andy,

Sorry to hear about the tax hike, but if it's any consolation...you aren't alone. Got reassessed here too and they bumped us 30%. Huh??? House values continue to decline most everywhere and ours is magically worth more? Give me a break. Appealed, but didn't get anywhere with 'em this time. Previous time I appealed, they backed down and left us alone. Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't. When times get tough, they'll say/do anything to generate more income no matter how ludicrous the nature of the hike. They seriously whacked everyone in the township.

Sounds like you've found a new love; timber framing. Nuthin' wrong with that. Keeps the gray matter active and inspired. Your latest project looks mighty nice.

Yeah, "reviving" a biz can be a nail-biter endeavor/experience. We were employed for 6 years straight once working on the same house/same clients. When that reached its inevitable conclusion...it was a rather sobering moment. (Not that we didn't know it was coming eventually.) Contacted everyone "from before" and told 'em we were available again. Phone started ringin' almost immediately and we were swamped. Whew!! Never thought it was gonna be that easy, but luckily it was. Like you, I fight for the time to get things done here. Cobbler's kids go barefoot and all that, I guess.

Sorry to hear the house hasn't sold yet. It shoulda.... cause you did a nice job. Life ain't always fair, I guess. Then again, you have a place to live. We bought this one intending to renovate and sell. Da wife decides two years into it... that she wants to stay. That was 21 years ago. Maybe you're "home" and just don't realize it yet.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-31-2008 at 11:01 PM.