+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower Temperature Problems

We recently added onto a 1920's bungalow, adding a master bath and tankless water heater. When we take a shower in the new addition, the water temperature fluctuates wildly from a bit too hot to too cold, back and forth continuously, there is no middle ground. At first we thought it may be that the tankless water heater wasn't keeping up with the demand on the warmer water. However, when we go take a shower in the original bathroom (fixtures remodeled about five years ago), the temperature in the shower is consistent for as long as we want to shower. The new shower is all over the map within minutes. We have a Kohler fixture in the new shower. What can we do to diagnose if it is indeed a fixture problem (as it is the only place in the house this occurs) and what we need to do to get it fixed?

Thanks!

Default Re: Shower Temperature Problems

Sounds as though the pressure/temperature balance needs to be adjusted on the Kohler valve.... this should have been done at final installation.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Knowing our builder I highly doubt it was done properly, if at all. Is this something I should be able to call a plumber in to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by nd318 View Post
    Knowing our builder I highly doubt it was done properly, if at all. Is this something I should be able to call a plumber in to do ?
    Most of the time it's an easy adjustment. If you have the owners manual for the fixture, the adjustment procedure will be there, otherwise, go to the manufacturer's website and get the manual for your fixture brand and model.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yep ... exactly as A .Spruce mentioned .... otherwise if this was done recently the contractor should be having a plumber resolving the issue since things should have been correctly set up orginally.
    - Rush

http://www.us.kohler.com/******catal.../1012741_2.pdf

This is the model we have. Is it the maximum temperature adjustment that we have to do? On page 10?

I just don't think we can call in the builder at this point. They have come out to fix the locks on the house 3 times and those still aren't right. If we can figure this out on our own we would probably be better off.

A recommendation ...... start with the minor adjustment ... if that doesn't resolve it then move to the major adjustment.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    A recommendation ...... start with the minor adjustment ... if that doesn't resolve it then move to the major adjustment.
    Agreed.

Those instructions are pretty straight forward, whether you do the minor adjustment of turning the set screw or the major adjustment of relocating the stop collar. You don't have to worry about turning off the water because you're not accessing live plumbing, your only working with surface adjustments. The adjustment points are behind the handle and escutcheon plates, so those will be removed before you begin setting your temperature.

You can easily handle this adjustment yourself, however if you have any questions, just come on back here and ask. Post pictures if you can to help clarify. Use care and patience as you proceed and you'll do just fine. We're here for ya if you need us.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!