+ Reply to Thread

Default dumb rookie question duct-damper

What is the process of installing a manual damper into a round pipe?

Default Re: dumb rookie question duct-damper

You drill a hole through the center of the pipe big enough for the pivot pins. Then with the holes on the side press down on the top with the bottom on a solid surface, this forms the pipe into an oval shape with the sides wider. Do not crush the pipe. Insert the damper into the center and align the pins with the hole and release the pressure. Install the damper handle.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you very much for the step by step, and for taking the time to share your knowledge, it is much appreciated.

I just spent the better part of yesterday doing this very thing. The house had already passed the rough HVAC inspection and the ducts were all in place. If you find yourself in this situation you can still install the dampers but you will have to take the vent pipes apart since it is pretty much impossible to put them in when the system installed. The dampers I installed came with a little lever to turn the damper and then a nut that goes on after the lever. Pay attention to the direction the little lever is put onto the damper stem there is a right way and a wrong way. Also, make sure to line up the little lever so that it is parallel to the direction of the damper. That way you can tell the position of the damper by looking at the lever.

I don't think messing around with dampers is really a good thing.