+ Reply to Thread

Default Securing a load on a trailer

I have a little 4x8 utility trailer that Ive hauled a few things in. This weekend Im hauling a lot more: some sheets of OSB, two extension ladders, and a wheelbarrow. Since I do not have much experience with this I am a bit worried about my load being secure. I screwed the OSB sheets down to the plywood deck using 6 long screws so I figure they are not going anywhere. The ladders are on top of the OSB. I screwed 2x4s down into the OSB over the I frame on the ladders to partially secure them. The wheelbarrow goes on top, top down, smaller face to the front. I also bought some ratcheting tie-downs to secure the load which Ill run through the ladder rungs and through the wheelbarrow frame. Ill be taking the trailer on the freeway so it will be subjected to some good wind. Does this sound/look secure enough? If not then any suggestions to make it more secure?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer.JPG 
Views:	456 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	119  

Default Re: Securing a load on a trailer

Sounds secure enough to me. The ratchet straps over the ladders and OSB should have done the trick, with a rope or third strap through the wheelbarrow.

I too am a fan of overstrapping a load to keep it from moving. Just this weekend I tarped a trailer with both bungees and ratchet straps to keep the tarp from billowing or coming loose. It did the trick, as it lasted the entire 4 hour ride home on the freeway at 60+ MPH.

Btw, there is a very simple knot to use with ropes that will give you every bit as much holding power as a ratchet strap (given comparable rope strength ). It's called a truckers knot, or at least that's the term I know it by. If you'd like me to describe it, just holler.

Here's how to tie a truckers hitch.
    HTH

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave357 View Post
    Here's how to tie a truckers hitch.
    That is close to the one I use, but slightly different. It does work on the same principle though.

Here's a description of the knot I use:

1. Pull the rope taut across the load, then hook it with the crook of your finger and fold the tail back to the main line to form a loop.
    2. Twist the crooked finger twice to twist the tail and main line of the rope by two revolutions.
    3. draw the tail through the loop to form another loop, pulling to draw the knot
    4. Repeat to form a second loop
    5. place the second loop on the tie-down hook of the trailer and pull the tail to cinch the rope down tight.
    6. End with a couple of half hitches to secure the knot from slipping and you're done.
    7. Excess rope can be coiled around the arm, placed under the tied rope and slip one end of the coil through the other to secure from dangling.

The nice thing about this knot is that it's extremely quick and easy to tie or untie, the key is in the second loop before cinching the rope tight, otherwise the knot becomes very tight and hard to pull out later. Oh, I guess I should tell you how to release it. Undo the two half hitches, unhook the loop from the trailer tie-down and then simply pull the tail, the knot will slip out of the rope like magic.

If you have solid tie-down rings on the vehicle, then instead of making the double loop and hooking the second loop, make the first loop, put the tail of the rope through the tie-down ring and then put the tail through the first loop made in the rope. Draw it down and tie off just as before.

Hopefully this made sense, if not I'll try to clarify a little more.

*edit* After much searching, I found a video that is very similar to my method, though a couple flicks of the wrist is easier than tying the first portion of the knot as shown in the vid. Also, that first "slippery hitch" that is done is the one I was referring to earlier of doubling up, meaning make two of them so that it doesn't become irretrievably tight, before making purchase around the tie-down point.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 09-08-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Thank you both for your replies. I did use the tie downs since I had them and they worked great. But I am going to learn the knots you described so that I can secure a load when I dont have the tie downs available.

Thanks again.

Glad things worked out for you. I much prefer ratchet straps to using a rope, but there are times when only a rope will do and the truckers knot is the fastest, easiest means of doing the job. I've even used this to put tension when cutting trees and limbs to get them to fall in a controlled direction, the only difference is that the rope is held by a helper so that when extra slack is needed, the rope is released at the right time for safety and control.

And having reread my last post, I realize I neglected to include the video of the knot that I found. If it's important, I'll go find it again for you.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 09-26-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: 清理化粪池

Quote Originally Posted by 080522jk View Post
    清理化粪池 1、清理化粪池专业疏通各种型号马桶(抹布、塑料)等各种软硬物质所造成的堵塞。2疏通菜池 漏:专业疏通各种v型、S型拐弯的地漏,(因为装修掉进水泥、沙子或头发等种原因所     造成的堵塞 )。 3疏通地漏墫 坑:因为墫坑年成久了,管道弯头产生了一层厚厚的尿碱,由100MM慢慢的变成了50MM甚     至1 0MM甚至还会堵死,所以造成墫坑下水慢、易堵,本部根据多年所积累经验采用最     佳技术和方案、彻 底疏通各种情况所造成的堵塞。4、疏通马桶 盆:专业疏通各种面盆,包括(V型、S型)等的管道。5、疏通下水道主管道:本部备有大中小型 机械和高压清洗机,专业疏通各种主管道
    Well, that certainly makes it clear to me.
    HTH

Dave

Hey, those Figure 9 rope tighteners look pretty handy. Do you feel that they truly are no-slip? Would you be OK with using them to secure a canoe to a roof rack?

Quote Originally Posted by SherryH View Post
    I am a bit worried about my load being secure.
    Thank you for being concerned about a secure load. I lost a very close friend recently (Gavin Coffee) here in Seattle to a 5lb. metal shelving coming out of a pickup killing this great father of five. I wish more people were concerned. Thanks for asking.