+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting old kitchen cabinets

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find it.

I can't afford new cabinets for my kitchen so I've decide to paint what I have.
    I know to remove the doors and draws. To clean and prep all for paint.

The question: What is the best method of applying the paint?
    Should I spray paint them or should I use a brush? And if I do either, what should I use? i.e. type of brush or type of spray (can or gun?)

Also should I prime first?

Thanks

Default Re: Painting old kitchen cabinets

R.Burns -

If you have access to spray equipment and know how to use it, by all means spray them. No brush can compare with the finish a spray gun will give. You might want to compromise on the painting of the base cabinets by brushing them. Spraying in an occupied house is sometimes a nuisance. Everything must be covered up and the fumes will fill the house.

For years I sprayed cabinet doors in my shop. I would use Bin Sealer to prime them. Bin sticks extremely well over existing varnished surfaces and will not "fish-eye" as will lacquer type primers. Bin is very fast drying, allowing both sides to be sprayed in a flat position within an hours dry time. I would spray oil enamels through my HVLP gun, again in a flat position. This allowed me to really lay on the paint without fear of running or sagging. The downside to using oil is that a days drying time must be used before flipping the doors to do the opposit side, but the finish is beautiful!

One downside to using oil if you are using a white color is that oils tend to yellow with time. Acylics generally do not yellow.

Default Re: Painting old kitchen cabinets

I'm getting ready to do the same and I plan to put latex over oil. Certain new latex enamels approximate the hardness of oil based paints and don't yellow. I 'm changing from white to a very pale yellow. Cabinets painted with brushes look great when carefully painted. A spray finish is not necessary, unless you want to go to the trouble. Sometimes it looks too perfect (my opinion).

I will sand lightly and prime with an oil based primer, then paint with the high quality latex using a foam brush using long strokes. Good luck.