+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

I'm guessing that our experience with CFL's is like that of a lot of people - some very good, some not so good. On balance, however, the energy savings is so significant that I can't understand why anyone would continue to use incandescents.

The good has been that the life expectancy has been as advertised, and the savings have been as well. We've switched out just about every bulb we could for CFLs, and we knocked about a third off of our electric bill.

We've also been able to find a fair number of decorative options, such as globes for above the vanities and a good dimmable for our hanging lamp above the kitchen table.

The not so good are in dimmables generally, particularly for speciality fixtures like ceiling fans. We have a vaulted ceiling in our family room that has four light sconces on it, and is dimmable, and finding dimmables bright enough for a room that size but small enough to fit those sconces has been a real challenge. We face a similar circumstance in our dining room with our dimmable chandelier.

I know, however, that the market is evolving and more CFL options are appearing almost daily. I've regularly used a couple of Web sites for some of the speciality bulbs, but more and more the big retailers, Wal-Mart and Home Depot, especially, are adding to their CFL stock.

Love 'em. I use them in all active indoor lamps / fixtures, some with dimmers, and some outside lights. Would prefer to be able to find variety of lamp bases and acceptable lumen output in LEDs, but CFLs save me quite a bit, last longer and put out very little heat compared to incandescents.

Thumbs up Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

I love these bulbs,especially the ones I purchased at IKEA,they look like a frosted 60 watt light bulb but are only 9 or 13 watts and they last 10,000 hours.I have an old Chalet type home with a ceiling fan that is about 12 feet high,I wanted a bulb that wouldn't need to be replaced any time soon and these fit the bill.I have also put them in my bathroom fixtures and other fan lights,they work great there also.

I like then and use them everywhere possible, but can't wait for the LCDs to hit the market at a fair price...

For everyone who has had problems with the shades on chandaleiers and sconces they are now producing a candalabera shaped cfl. For everone concerned about the delay start looking for the new high intesity led bulbs you can find them at most electrical suppliers right now and hopefully soon at your home improvement store. The led last longer than cfl, put out more light, have a less harsh light, and provide even more energy savings than the cfl.

Love 'Em! Just as much light for a lot less in energy bills. Retail prices are steadily falling as well. I even like the the "soft start." Not as blinding when you turn them on. My company just won a bid to install them in a local church. We calculated that they'll save $1200. over the course of a year on their electrical bill.

Thumbs up Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

When we remodeled our kitchen we had recessed lighting put in on both sides of the room. The lights that were installed seemed to burn out very often so we replaced them all with CFL bulbs. These have worked out very well and we haven't had to one burn out yet. The only one that bothers me is the one over the sink because it must be a different kind of socket. It takes a while for the light to come on bright.

We have them in all our lamps and the only thing I don't like about this is that sometimes I need a three way lamp turned on high. Especially when we are practicing music in the living room. The lamps all come on right away. We haven't experienced any delay in brightness with them.
    Blessed are the Purr in Heart.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

Cathairetic

These bulbs do not last longer than the old kind. I see no advantage to using them if I have to replace them as frequently as the other kind. Short answer, I hate them.

Personally I'm looking forward to affordable and effective LED lighting. It's not terribly far away... especially when you consider how long we've been using incandescent lighting. It's a nicer looking light, less environmental impact, lasts longer than CFL's, and uses less energy than CFL's. Also, they will be a perfect compliment when my home goes solar powered. They are just a little too expensive at the moment... but that will change.

Meanwhile, we have replaced many of our overhead fixtures with CFL's and a couple of our lamps (no "tilt" issues for us). Walking into the bathroom in the morning is always a little disconcerting when the light doesn't come on immediately... still have not gotten used to that. And I just can't stand the color of it in my home office... much too much like my work office... so those are still the old style.

Also, I'm in the process of adding lighting in our attic. Because it's a bit cramped I wanted something that would not be easily broken when bumped, but I really didn't want to spend a lot on new fixtures. So I bought $2 spot light fixtures that I mounted right into the metal mounting boxes. And I'm gonna try the CFL's that have the plastic rounded cover that makes them look like a classic light bulb. I got a 4 pack for about $8 bucks. We'll see how that experiment goes.

The other interesting thing about CFL's is that I just purchased (literally) a 3/4 full garbage bag of various unused incandescent bulbs at a yard sale for $3. I KNOW!! $3!! And most of them are ones I still have occasional use for. I may never buy another incandescent bulb.

I have a few CFL's around my house. I have them in the front door and back door light fixtures and burn them 24/7. They've been burning almost a year now and still give off light like they are new. I also have two in my carport fixture that take a minute or so to warm up, but seem to do fine after about 6 months or so.

As long as they continue to burn, I'll continue using them, but I'm thinking of stocking up on incandescent bulbs, thanks to the government mandating that everyone will be forced to use CFL's in the next few years.

And who knows what's going to happen to all our landfills, (i.e.- environment) when millions upon millions of these CFL's get tossed into a trash can. Guess they'll have to form a "Garbage Police" to keep up with the perpetrators.

Just waiting until the LED's get more affordable so I can try them out.