+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

I have replaced any bulbs I can with CF's. Over time, I've gotten used to the warm up time and buzzing. I have only two beefs at this point:

Using them in the laundry room causes me to miss stains that show up in natural and incandescent light. I have to carry an item to the window or to an incandescent that hasn't burned out yet...

The outdoor floods don't last more than a few days in my light sensor socket adaptor. I've had to go back to incandescent for those fixtures.

The only other problem is fit - sometimes they don't fit in an overhead fixture.

My solid waste agency is good about disposal options - the only pain is having to collect them separately from other trash.

The best use I have found so far is in my droplight. The regular bulbs would get bumped and go out at the worst time. Also the regular bulbs would be very hot to bump an arm against.

The only problem I've had with these bulbs is that they don't fit in all lamps. We actually bought new floor lamps and decided when purchasing the bulbs to go with CFL only to find out that they don't fit. Unfortunately for us we broke one of the brand new lamps figuring it out . On the plus side to the bulbs... we were replacing bulbs in our basement constantly (I think this has to do with the kids running and jumping on the floor) since the switch we've not replaced any . To those who have already posted (or others that know) I understand why you shouldn't put them in the trash but if you can't put them in the trash what do you do with them?

I like CFLs mostly because they burn cool. And of course they save money. Or do they? I have had bulbs burn out in just a few days or weeks. Hardly a money saver in that case. Most of them do last a long time so I think I might be saving money. Tought to calculate the savings. The last one I had that quit right away is an N:Vision bulb, which I purchased from Home Depot.

Most communities have had laws REQUIRING the recycling of all florescent bulbs for more than a decade, thus the issue of the mercury is moot...unless <gasp> you're the one breaking the law?!??! Oh noooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by 2sara View Post
    Excellent thread to start!!!!

The downside to these bulbs is they can't be used with a dimmer, and more importantly, they pollute horribly (some, not sure if it's all) with mercury in them that will be going to our landfills. This is not stated when their power saving attributes are touted in press.

I wonder how far behind LED for the home is?

I haven't actually used too many of them. The ones I have bought have been fine. It took a few purchasing mistakes to figure out what kind of light I wanted (soft, natural, etc). I'm disappointed at how expensive the dim-able ones are. Very, very cost-prohibitive for my checkbook. One piece I would like you to confirm for me... I live in Minnesota and I was recently told that (per code) should one of these bulbs break that a hazmat team needs to be called in because of the mercury in the bulbs. Seems a bit ridiculous but so does alot of the stuff our legislatures congure up. I'd appreciate any info on this.

Toby

Question Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

I have no problems using the CFL bulbs but my wife hates the way they look. The only brand I have used so far is GE an they seem to work just fine. I am using the 13 watt = 60 watts size. I have tried one 100 watt but it sticks too far out of the lamp I was using.
    I would really like to see peoples response to not being able to buy a ceiling fan light with standard sockets for standard size bulbs including CFL. Both Home Depot and Lowe's ended all ceiling fan lights with standard sockets. They are either Candlellebra (SIC)or the new Intermediate size sockets. Both are too dim for even a small room.
    Thanks
    John White
    Sugar Land, Texas

I have used several different types of CFL (Indoor/Outdoor). I have not seem to have any problems with use

We replaced the 25W hall lights with 13W CFLs with good results. We have several 25W CFLs in outdoor fixtures and they do OK. We've found the bulb style work better outdoors because they do not trap the insects, dirt, etc which the open tube-style does. They do take awhile to reach full brightness but the energy cost savings offsets that minor inconvenience.

Many of the CFLs have a warranty for so many hours of service. How do you prove the amount of usage much less know who to contact? I had two bulbs go bad rather quickly but there was no proof. Now I keep the box the bulb came in and receipt and write down where and when that bulb was installed. So far, of course, since starting that record keeping I've not had a failure.

Our city has a weekly hazmat drop-off site that will accept CFLs and florescent tubes. We are fortunate the city provides this service.

Angry Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

[johnHome] I, for one, hate them, WHEN they break, they break in a billion pieces; we have a beagle/corghi, 6 years old...she sniffs for this kind of thing. Another dislike, is the fact you cannot put a shade on them, I was told at Home Depot, that they are designed for overhead lights...bad enough the light breaking at desk level; let alone above your head! I believe more safety needs to go in the manfacture of these bulbs....I am old fashioned I guess, I still like the standard light bulb!
    STLOUIEY
    "The best house is an old house." "You can't fix stupid!"