+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

We like the bulbs and have them in all of our ceiling lights that aren't enclosed and all of our table lamps. The two bedside tables with reading lamps on top seem to put out more glare with the 7W lamps when you look at them from above, though. We may have to get a different style shade for the lamps.

We leave a yellow bug light on at our front door and back door all night, every night, and the new bulbs should be a savings in electricity over the incandescents we used to use. Both bulbs are enclosed in a fixture and they have worked well through one North Dakota winter (very cold) and summer (very hot).

Growing up with incandescents,it took some time getting used to,but there ok,I have not had to change a lightbulb for almost four yrs now,as far as the coloring of the bulbs,there are now a lot of cfl's that mock the incandescents,which would be the kitchen&bath,there are others that have a higher color rendering index to receive truer colors close to the way they appear in the sun,for outside fixtures with motion sensing,it is not ideal,for the cfl's,according to consumer reports should stay on 15 minutes or otherwise it shortens the life span,and there are some that will work with photocells,but that would mean buying the light fixture(pole lights).With the ceiling fans it would be better to use incandescents because of vibrations,but the cfls do work,in the matter of dimmers,there are dimmable cfl's that will work in fans,with the candelabra base(small base).I am sure as time passes they will improve as well as maybe a lesser price & when the start improve the led lightbulb maybe the do away with cfls.As far as disposal,it takes some getting used to just like recycling,other than that we all have been throwing away flourescent tubes away for years & there is a lot more mercury in those than there is in a cfl,but anyway.Just checkout consumer reports.com
    PS If by doing all of this with cfls to slow the use of fossil fuels by the electric companies,which will slow the green house effect,I'm all for it,as well as the money I have saved on my electric bill since i have been using them.

Thumbs up Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

I replaced every bulb in the house with CFLs I love them simply because its shaved off 80 bucks a month on my electric bill, for the most obvious problems when it comes to the spiral look of the bulbs in fixtures (like in the bathroom wall fixtures) I turned the fixture so that the shade opening pointed towards the ceiling I did try the bulbs that look like the incandescent style but the delay on them is too noticeable they take too long to warm up and get to their maximum brightness.
    For sconces I added a harp to the fixture so the shade isnt grabbing the bulb.
    For the horrible color issues I use two different types of CFL's to mimic sunlight rather than just straight soft light
    I replaced all of the pot light bulbs with a shorter CFL and honestly when I have them on you really cant tell theres a spiral in there.
    And if its a question of mercury content Im pretty much of the mind all bulbs contain mercury, until TPTB come up with a bulb thats mercury free we have to use them but at least these last 10 times longer than the old standbys, so we are actually not increasing the use of mercury if we think about it in that light *no pun intended* as long as we dispose of them properly there are receptacles for doing so with your local garbage companies Walmart is another place that has receptacles for your burned out bulbs....
    Im a happy CFL user 80 bucks aint nothin to sneeze at thats groceries for a week for me!

80 bucks a month???
    C'mon now, that cannot be true....maybe 80 bucks a year but not a month.

Like I mention earlier, it is not cost effective and in my case, it does not last longer than regular bulbs.

I believe people are wasting energy by not using their head wisely.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Sorry my dear maybe I should have stated why so much but its true Im a caregiver to my MIL I have to have lights on all the time at night due to Macular Degeneration & Alz she sundowns at night badly *shadowing of the night gets a person suffering from Alz. paranoid and sometimes progresses into paranoid delusions* she wanders and with steps in my home I need the lights on, its not a matter of wasting energy its a safety issue. The $80 savings is real
    BTW its not cost effective? Have you shopped at Costco or drug stores or Walmart for that matter?
    Every pack of CFL's I got were on sale for $1.99 for a 4 pack Costco there was an 8 pack for I believe $2.99 after PG&E instant rebate a few months back so their no more expensive than an incandescent bulb.
    So far Ive had mine in for 1 year to be exact with no burnouts yet and 6 of them are in ceiling fans
    Last edited by BobbieV; 10-11-2008 at 02:07 AM.

Smile Re: CFL Bulbs: Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, or Both?

My wife and I moved into our this old house {1910** a little over 2 yrs ago. The previous owner had installed CFL BULBS in the basement. After the first year I had realized I had yet to have to change them. Since then we've replaced all the rest of the blubs with CFL"s. They do take a little getting used to the warm up time, although I"ve only noticed a minute or two. We've even tryed the new 3 way bulbs without a problem. As for the clip on shade lamps, we still use regular bulbs because as stated the shades do not fit right on the CFL's. Over all we have seen a $20 dollar a month reduction in our elec. bills. After 2 1/2 years I have yet to have to replace one .

I hatem anywhere accept my basement in certain areas and my garage, but i actually only use flourescent tubes.. Ever checked into a hotel that only uses them? Horrible. Asthetically inappropriate in an old house lke ours. I work for an electric company that gave them out for "free" (untitl the conservation program surcharge appeared on their bills. Talk about a riot! Several employees that received them reported that they shorted and nearly caused FIRES, and were promptly ignored. Cheap overseas produced junk. As far as savings go, a 100w bub burning 24 hrs a day at approx 10 cents a kwh only uses 24 cents! The big users of home electric are Heating/Cooling, Water heating, and refrigeration in that order, unless you have a hot tub, or something. We all need to know that the government is about to push conservation programs on utilities are going to RAISE BILLS. The focus need to be on the appliances that are the main users and those manufacturers as most people are gonna buy whats on the shelf. Try walking into Home depot and comparing an electric water heater to gas one for potential energy use. Ask the sales person. Even use the "energy guide" . Clear as mud. And people are worried about light bulbs... Side note - bought a pair of sunglasses at walmart tonight, which i examined for scratches under flourescent light at the store. None noted. Got home and held to my 100 w incandescent SCRATCHED BADLY..hmmm
    Last edited by twilfon; 11-18-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: additional wording needed

Quote Originally Posted by YukSchmuk View Post
    I don't like the delay they have coming to full light. Our ceiling light / fan fixtures all have two light sockets so I put a regular bulb in one and a CFL in the other. That way I get a good bit of light immediately and still have some savings by using the CFL.
    You may want to ck this product out for the bulbs when using lamp shades.

http://www.magictoob.com/
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I use CFL's throughout my home and I'm very happy with them. However, one of their biggest sticking points based on many people I've talked to is that the most common and least expensive spiral shaped ones work very poorly with clip-on shades. GE rolled out a new CFL in Dec 2008 that has a more traditional incandescent shape that solves the problem except for one thing: They cost at least FOUR TIMES AS MUCH as the spiral ones of the same wattage! (They're also VERY slow to brighten up compared to their spiral counterparts.)

This prompted me to come up with a solution that my friend Gizmo just alluded to. It's called the Magic Toob Lampshade Leveler. It allows people to make a simple adaptation to their existing clip-on shades that allows them to grip those funky spiral shaped bulbs perfectly! The cost to consumers is only about $1 per lampshade and once they've been modified the problem goes away permanently! You can see a demonstration and find out more at:

http://www.magictoob.com/

I would be happy to provide a free sample to anyone who is interested. Just e-mail me at: jack@magictoob.com

Jack
    Nimble Jack Enterprises

As others have said, it is sometimes annoying that the CFls take a few minutes to completely light up. But I still say it is so worth the energy conservation. Incandescent bulbs waste so much energy, it's such a shame. If you have a break, just remember how to properly clean up from a broken CFL. If you clean up properly, you shouldn't need to worry about dangerous mercury exposure.