+ Reply to Thread

Default Sagging Chimney/Foundation

We've been in our house about two years now. Our living room has a fireplace with two small windows on either side about 2/3 up the wall. I noticed that there were cracks in the plaster coming from the upper corners of the wall to the windows, then from the windows to the top of the fireplace mantle. Also, the is about a half inch gap between the fireplace and the mantle by the wall.

I patched the cracks about 18 months ago and they started reappearing within 3-4 months after patching. At the time I talked to several folks (even posted on this board) and the feeling was that I either had some slight movement in the wall or something was sinking.

Back in January I started testing by putting masking tape with lines drawn on it on both the wall and the fireplace. There was zero movement up until about a month ago. Now the lines are seperated by about the vertical width of the line, with the line on the fireplace being lower.

Is this an indication that my fireplace and chimney are sinking? If so, what should I do? I have some experience with sagging floors, decks, etc., but the thought of a sagging chimney scares me.

Default Re: Sagging Chimney/Foundation

I would suggest you check your locale listings for a foundation jacking and stabilization company. This is not a job for an amateur.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I would suggest you check your locale listings for a foundation jacking and stabilization company. This is not a job for an amateur.
    Jack
    Thanks for the tip - wasn't even sure who to call. I'll see what's in my area.

Hi,

I am http://a1tuckpointing.com .My name is Glenn Rightsell.
    We own a 1900 sears home in linden Indiana.I actually specialize in chimney/Foundation's.The best place to start is checking the Base of your chimney,also look at your chimney's condition above the roof.Our chimney need's some work below the roof and above the ceiling.I plan to expose this area by removing whatever is in the way.I don't know where you are located? If you want to email picture's .we can offer free advice.
    Glenn