+ Reply to Thread

Cool Returning a slab

I removed a 5'x5'x4" slab of sidewalk, in one piece (still sore), to repair a water line. I now want to return the slab as it was. The slab was originally poured over 4 inches of pea gravel. The bottom of the slab is of course very uneven and pitted and uneven thickness: 3" to 5" thick in spots. I am not sure what to put down over the pea gravel to receive the old slab so as to get a good level fit. I have leveled the pea gravel down about 1.5 inches below where it was and planned to pour 1.5 inches of concrete then drop the slab back in place. I am concerned about:

1) Gravel or viscosity in the new concrete preventing the slab from settling down to grade.
    - Should I use some type of grout instead of concrete.

2) Not being able to apply enough pressure to get the slab down into the fresh concrete to grade.
    - Is there some type of vibrating device either beneath the slab or on it that will work the slab down to grade?

What ever advice you can offer I'd appreciate.

Default Re: Returning a slab

If it were me, I would form and pour a new slab. If you go the most expensive rout of using a product like Quikrete concrete mix it would only be about $50 for a new 5' X 5' X 4" slab and a lot less work. By the way you can go here to calculate how many bags you would need http://www.quikrete.com/Calculator/Main.asp#concrete
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-12-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb