+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question How to clean up the mess after stripping paint?

I've got two questions actually. The man who owned this house before us painted all the beautiful woodwork awful colors like pink and red. I just began chemical stripping the paint off the solid wood doors in my home and have discovered the worst part to be after I have stripped when I have nasty muddy scum and small paint chips in the ridges and can't seem to get it all cleaned up very well. Can I take the hose to the door to rinse it off? Or is that bad for the wood? If I can't, what suggestions do you have to clean the door? I would really appreciate any advice for this you can give me because I have 8 more doors in the house to go!

Default Re: How to clean up the mess after stripping paint?

I would unscrew the doors from their hinges and take them out into the yard to do it. and as far as the trim I would go to lowes or home depot or any hardware and buy a roll of red rosin paper and tape it down to the floor so the mess went onto it and then it could just be picked up and throwen away

Talking Re: How to clean up the mess after stripping paint?

Yeah, I took all the hardware off the door and took it outside to strip it so using the hose will make it easier to clean up. I guess people powerwash their wood decks and wood on thier houses so it shouldn't hurt it. Yeah, I already got some stripper on the floor in my bathroom doing the trim and it ate a hole through it. A small one and it's just crappy linoleum anyway but I am slowly learning how to do things...unfortunately the hard way. This is my first big project, just bought the house a year ago and it's my first!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Havana has the right idea about covering everything with rosin paper. However, I would double layer the rosin paper as stripper will often go through a single layer. Tape down the edges, but here I would triple the tape layer as the stripper will also attack it.

To get the remaining residue off the door, take it outside and flood it with lacquer thinner and rub it with the grain with fine steel wool. I would not flood a wooden door with water! Water will swell the grain and could also loosen the joints and warp the door.

I have used a hose to rinse off stripper but it depends on the wood. Water raises the grain on some wood like Oak. You can also use a scrub brush and soap and water then rinse and dry off as much as possible.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Prevention is the best course. Sherwin Williams Paint in my area has a disposable tarp/dropcloth that is adsorbent paper on one side and plastic on the down side. This works way better than rosin paper and it never leaks. Good Luck! PM

Quote Originally Posted by farmhome1893 View Post
    I've got two questions actually. The man who owned this house before us painted all the beautiful woodwork awful colors like pink and red. I just began chemical stripping the paint off the solid wood doors in my home and have discovered the worst part to be after I have stripped when I have nasty muddy scum and small paint chips in the ridges and can't seem to get it all cleaned up very well. Can I take the hose to the door to rinse it off? Or is that bad for the wood? If I can't, what suggestions do you have to clean the door? I would really appreciate any advice for this you can give me because I have 8 more doors in the house to go!
    When you get the pile of gummy material dried up put sme more stripper on it. Let it set for about 30 minutes to an hour, and scrap it off. When faced with paint in cracks then use something like the old can opener, or something hard, and thin. Put more stripper on it ( I let it sit over night) then it comes right out with no fight.