+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting concrete floor

We are putting a room in our unfinished basement in Mass. Anyone have any experience and advice on painting concrete floors that will be walked on? Any advice on how to do it and, especially, what to put down would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Painting concrete floor

Fred,

First, you want to make sure that your concrete is really dry. If your concrete is passing water vapor upward, it is doubtfall that any paint will adhere in the long run. You can test for this buy taping a foot square piece of heavy plastic ( try a piece of heavy garbage bag plastic) to the floor for 24 hours. If when you remove it you see water condensation underneath, you have problems.

If the concrete is dry, you want to make sure to etch the concrete so as to get a good bond. This can be done with an acid wash. Etching acids are avaliable at the paint store. Just follow the manufacturers directions.

Many paint manufacturers recommend a bonding liquid prior to using their paint. This is a clear liquid which is applied and allowed to dry for several hours before painting. Here again, follow the instructions given by the paint manufacturer.

As far as what paint to use: I prefer a lower sheen acylic based floor paint rather than gloss. Gloss paint becomes VERY slippery when wet or covered with dust. I used to use my basement as my woodshop. When covered with a fine layer of sawdust, the glossy floor it was treacherous! The same advise is true for a garage floor too.

Talking Re: Painting concrete floor

Hey Fred,

If your sure the floor is dry like the other fellow suggested with the tape you can paint it. You should however check for moisture throughout the year to make sure you don't get seasonal dampness. Moisture under a painted floor can make a real mess and is hard to fix.

Another alternative is to use a concrete stain which comes in semi tranparent just like wood stain, or solid pigment. The thing is, this will soak into the concrete and color it and not lay on the top of the concrete like a coating. This will allow a certain amount of dampness to pass through and still have your finish in place. It comes in many colors and can be put down artistally also. You can do alternating colors, some places sell stencils to give a tile effect. The possibilities are really endless and it's safe with mild dampness. God Bless and Good Luck!