+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Removing lally column ?

I would like to remove a lally column in my basement. The house is one floor with 3 bedrooms and sml attic=1100 spft.
    The basement is full with 15'x 11' space under the master bedroom. 11' from the foundation in the center of the room is a lally column which supports 3-2x10's in two 7.5' sections, pocketed into the foundation on both ends. Column is in the middle of 15'span from wall to wall.
    The plan is to countersink lag bolts into 2x10's then lag bolt 9.5" lvl beams 15' long one on each side. Then use 3-2x10's for jack studs on the outer walls. Therefore eliminating lally column.
    My question is will this plan work or should I consider plate steel?
    Please Help - Thanks -

Default Re: Removing lally column ?

please don't just take someone's word for it, the consequences of if they are wrong is too high. I would reccommend talking to an engineer. he should want to come out and take a look at it in person. this really isn't something a person can make a determination over the internet with out actually seeing it.

I have had three general contractors out to the house and two said they ran there plans by an engineer. The cost of an enginer to come out to the house is twice that of the project itself.

I totally agree with the previous two recommendations of having a professional engineer's opinion.

two said they ran there plans by an engineer
    Their engineer wasn't out to your home and didn't say it to you.

You'll need to have an engineer's approval for this type of major structural modification for the permit anyway.... besides if something went wrong without doing it your risking a lot of personal and property damage .... and your house insurance company won't likely cover you.

Typically for around $500 an engineer will appraise the situation and might even supply a simple drawing.
    Last edited by canuk; 06-23-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

What type of engineer would you recommend reviewing this type of situation?

I am bucking up a similar problem where at some point in time a lally column was removed in my basement. I just discovered this after being in the house almost 8 years. They removed to column to run a heating duct for a partially finished basement. So I need to figure out where on the scale of SNAFU to FUBAR do I stand. There is a slight deflection in the wall in my living room that I can never explain, now I think I can.

A structural engineer would definately be a choice but generally a civil engineer can also do this.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Does anyone know of a good structural engineer in the New Haven Ct area

Quote Originally Posted by caaceto View Post
    Does anyone know of a good structural engineer in the New Haven Ct area

Yup his name is I.C.Sag

All kidding aside if this is not calculated you house could collapse. If it was me and I hired a contractor. I would want to know the name of the engineer all call him. Then ask his state seal number and check him out. Alot of these guys say there engineer checked it out and what they really did was look at the LAM beam guidlines. My view
    Last edited by Ravens53; 06-30-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    Harry