+ Reply to Thread

Question Laminate Floor Removal

I am a novice do it yourselfer (DIY). I recently installed porcelain tile in a small upstairs bathroom and feel confident I can do the remaining baths, kitchen, foyer and powder room.

My next DIY project is to replace the laminate wood flooring in the foyer and powder room with 3/8 inch 12x12 marble. My Hampton, VA home was built in 2000 on approx 30 inch crawl space, with 16 inches on center joist spacing.

The floors get cold in the winter, as such, I plan to install radiant heating (by Flextherm) and cover it with Schluter Ditra underlayment. I consulted with an Electric Co. for installation of dedicated circuits to the electrical panel and final connections (all other work I will tackle).

1st Question: Since I donít know how thick the actual subfloor is, is there a basic thickness required for installation of marble flooring?

2nd Question: What is the best way to remove the laminate flooring? I plan to remove the transition pieces going into the adjacent living room on one side and the dining room on the other and hope to be able to get a pry bar beneath a starter piece. Is this the best approach?

RB

Default Re: Laminate Floor Removal

Question 1-
    I would want to see 3/4" plywood sub-floor for this installation.
    Question 2-
    That sounds like a good starting place for the removal. Actual removal is going to depend on the type of installation. Some laminate flooring is snap together and lifting one side you can unsnap it and salvage all the flooring. If it is glued together the easiest way may be to set up a circular saw so the depth of cut is just slightly deeper than the thickness of the flooring and cut th flooring into sections for removal.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb